Cleanout needed?

Users who are viewing this thread

J.Heyerman

Reaction score
I am renovating my kitchen and mostly returning the drain plumbing for the kitchen sink to how it used to be - proposal show below. The line from the sink (p-trap not shown) is a 1.5" (as allowed by Canadian code) running 43 inches along the wall and then turns 45 degrees and into a santee. Up from the santee is a 1 1/4" vent line which (not shown) later runs horizontally to a vent going up through the roof. Down from the santee is a 1 1/2" drain line that rubs vertically down to the basement then turns 90 degrees and runs to the 3" waste stack via a wye. Does this look copacetic and do I need any cleanouts on the 1 1/2" line? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 127

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Since you are opening up walls for a renovation, it doesn't hurt to add a clean out. You'll not get dinged if there is one.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I would be a lot more concerned about how far the vent from the fixture is

Normally I install a fixture and with in 2 feet a trap and with in 2 feet of the trap a vent

Also I never use any waste line smaller then 2" as it allows easier snaking for the next person to maintain the waste line

J.Heyerman

Reaction score
I would be a lot more concerned about how far the vent from the fixture is

Normally I install a fixture and with in 2 feet a trap and with in 2 feet of the trap a vent

Also I never use any waste line smaller then 2" as it allows easier snaking for the next person to maintain the waste line
When I drew this up the Ontario building code I was using has 1500 mm (~5 ft) max fixture drain length. Latest code is 1200 mm (~4 ft) so looks like I need to move the vent take-off into the outside wall. Some of the drain piping already exists and is 1.5 inches, so I need to stick with that. Not going to rip apart 3" copper stack.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks