Cleanout Confusion

Users who are viewing this thread

Zane Bridgers

Reaction score
Hi Everyone -

Please excuse this amateur hour moment... I'm a bit confused about code, vs best practices, vs bare necessities as it concerns cleanouts. I've read the UPC section and get the basic requirements. What I'm confused on is:

1. Can cleanouts be inside an interior wall - i.e. behind the drywall, and is this standard practice (w/ or w/o access panel)
2. They are supposed to be opposite the flow, or min 90* to facilitate snaking. Real world obstacles like studs, walls, finished surfaces sometimes make this impossible. What's the next best option (see photo below).
3. Beyond the 50', change in direction, main drain/stack requirements, are cleanouts frequently installed at: a) single lavs b) kitchen sinks c) washer standpipes

Related to 2. above, the arrows show the drain flow direction (forward for ~1', then right to sewer). Can I use a 90 or 45 or something to not break the cleanout orientation rule? Kind of seems self defeating. The other three directions are blocked by 3" pipe, shower tile, and the stud. What about a wye? Seems if the snake was pointing down already, it would have less trouble making the bends. The access is the mech room, so aesthetics aren't much issue.
IMG_8897.jpg

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
It's that simple.

Attachments

• 58790_large.jpg
    58790_large.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 685
  • f1053-02.png
    f1053-02.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,372
  • oatey-repair-clamps-34411-64_1000.jpg
    oatey-repair-clamps-34411-64_1000.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 337

Reach4

Reaction score
2. They are supposed to be opposite the flow, or min 90* to facilitate snaking.
I may not understand what you are saying in that sentence. I think a cleanout with the flow is right. A 45 would make a great cleanout if it fits your physical needs.

Looking at your photo, you could have your cleanout open to the far side. I suspect the far side is the less dressy side. Cleanout could be above or below the santee.

Zane Bridgers

Reaction score
It's that simple.

Interesting. Do they make something like that in PVC? I looked for flush mount cleanouts and could only find the plugs with the flush faces.

I may not understand what you are saying in that sentence. I think a cleanout with the flow is right. A 45 would make a great cleanout if it fits your physical needs.

Looking at your photo, you could have your cleanout open to the far side. I suspect the far side is the less dressy side. Cleanout could be above or below the santee.

Thanks Reach - what I was getting at is the cleanout should form a natural C curve with the direction of flow in the drain. Code allows it to be offset 90* max. In that photo, the other side of the stud wall is the shower, which will be tiled and not a good cleanout access.

Does the 90* rule apply if a wye is used instead of a santee for the cleanout?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. If there is a 90 degree offset max rule, I would suspect that a wye would be considered to be 45 degrees.

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
This?

Attachments

• imagerequest (1).jpg
    imagerequest (1).jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 316
  • imagerequest.jpg
    imagerequest.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 418

Reach4

Reaction score
I think that a cleanout buried in a wall with no access has no purpose.

I suggest you search for "cleanout tee". You can use a flush plug to replace the included plug. That might be dressy enough without an added dress cover. Or add the cover.

What is your situation? Pedestal lavatory, or what?

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
The picture I posted above is of a round access cover, you just use the screw to screw it into the plastic clean out plug. its common practice.
if you cant find the fitting you can order it online.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. WHY would you not want access to a cleanout?
2. I have absolutely NO IDEA what you mean by "opposite flow", or min 90 degrees, since EITHER would not make good cleanouts
3. Cleanouts are installed EVERYWHERE they are needed, often in those three locations, but also MANY OTHERS. After you are in the drain cleaning business for a few years, you appreciate properly located, AND ACCESSIBLE, cleanouts. Plumbers who only INSTALL drain lines seldom have any conception of WHERE they should be or how they should be oriented and often install them inside walls where the sheetrockers cover them up.

Zane Bridgers

Reaction score
1. Haha fair enough. It's a good point why would you not want access.
2. From the 2009 UPC: "707.5 Each cleanout shall be installed so that it opens to allow cleaning in the direction of flow of the soil or waste or at right angles thereto and, except in the case of wye branch and end-of-line cleanouts, shall be installed vertically above the flow line of the pipe."
- I think my language was confusing. This is what I am referring to - putting cleanouts on the downhill side so the snake will curve naturally into the drain line.
3. I guess there is a disconnect between some plumbers and drain cleaners here. Is a cleanout blocked by a washer/dryer considered accessible?

Zane Bridgers

Reaction score
53B7DB7C-BE36-4FEA-A6B4-1680F54BD9C8.jpeg

Here is a specific situation where I would love some input. This is the kitchen sink drain/trap arm. Which of these red circles would be the optimal cleanout placement?
1. Above the santee in the 1-1/2 vent pipe
2. A wye directly off the santee
3. Extending off the end of the trap arm

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
There.

Attachments

• 53B7DB7C-BE36-4FEA-A6B4-1680F54BD9C8.jpeg
    53B7DB7C-BE36-4FEA-A6B4-1680F54BD9C8.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 557
  • imagerequest (1).jpg
    imagerequest (1).jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 427

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a 2 inch cleanout at the top circle, and reduce to 1.5 above the cleanout?

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a 2 inch cleanout at the top circle, and reduce to 1.5 above the cleanout?

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
Yes you can do that . I prefer one below, its messy either way but you have more room to work. The clean out cant be smaller than the drain it serves until you get larger than 4" pipe. then it can stay a 4" clean out. that's code. A large percentage of sinks don't have clean outs, their a luxury. code says if you have a removable trap then that's an acceptable clean out.

Last edited:

Zane Bridgers

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I realized after posting that it would have to be 2”, so no problem to reduce after the c/o.

Under works too. I figured putting it above meant if the santee ever clogged you could snake that too. I take it that doesn’t happen much.

Even if it’s a luxury I don’t mind adding plenty of clean outs now while it’s easy. If they are never used, at least I learned something

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The cleanout needs to be accessible. Sometimes that means under the sink on the horizontal trap arm.
If the vertical there is past the sink cabinet, then it's doubtful there will be access to it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In your specific case, since this is an outside wall, I would put it under the sink's tee and rotate it so it is through the outside wall. Snaking inside a room can get nasty, and outside, you can let the water drain out onto the ground, while you are snaking it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks