Cleanout cap doesn't seem to go back on

Users who are viewing this thread

jeffoire

Reaction score
Hi, I was doing laundry at my dad's house today, and the stench in the basement was intermittently, absolutely nauseating. Another site recommended to check the cleanout plug, and sure enough, when I lifted the grate, all I see is an open hole. Not too far away on the floor, I noticed a threaded metal cap that seems to be the right size, but I can't seem to get it to actually screw into the cleanout hole. Not sure it's too corroded or what (it has a very green patina). I'm wondering what I should do - is it worth trying to clean it up? Do I want to put teflon tape on it? Or do I need some kind of lubricant? (that piece of duct tape in the photo has since been removed)
20191210_135828.jpg

Last edited:

jeffoire

Reaction score
I don't think it's gone dry. The photo doesn't show it very well, but I can see water in both holes. My dad wants to pour some grease and hair remover down it, but I don't think that's going to help the smell at all :-/

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would pour water down it first and then check.
If that's a p-trap below the floor, the water will be the seal that prevents gas from coming up.

If there is no trap there, then I doubt there "should" be any standing water. Then it would need to be covered. But if there was a grate there, then that sounds like a drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks