Cleanout below flood plain

Users who are viewing this thread

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
I want to tuck the drain for a tub in the joist cavity. This drain would head towards a partition wall where it enters a sanitee and a long sweep 90 with the rest of the drain below the joists and vent going up into the wall. I want to add a cleanout in the vent line to service the sanitee if ever a blockage should happen. Does this cleanout need to be above the flood plain of the tub?
I hope this makes sense, it does in my head.
Edit: after some thought, the answer has to be yes, it should be above the flood plain. otherwise once opened water could come shooting out if the tub is full and not draining.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Edit: after some thought, the answer has to be yes, it should be above the flood plain. otherwise once opened water could come shooting out if the tub is full and not draining.
I am pretty sure that there is no rule that cleanout has to be above the flood level. Usually they are not.

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that there is no rule that cleanout has to be above the flood level. Usually they are not.
That's actually the answer that I want because I can hide the access panel better if it's lower. So now it's a question of functionality vs aesthetics.

Reach4

Reaction score
Since most clogs are not total, letting the tub etc sit overnight will usually let the water level fall. Then pull the plug from the cleanout.

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
Since most clogs are not total, letting the tub etc sit overnight will usually let the water level fall. Then pull the plug from the cleanout.
Thanks, I always think of the worse case scenario and realistically this would most likely benefit the next owner of my house in 20 years.
Do the threads of a cleanout need to be sealed (Teflon or pipe dope)?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks