Cleaning Tile Kitchen Counters

Users who are viewing this thread

BJW

Reaction score
After having read all the tips and advise on sealing tile and grout, I'm pretty clear how to clean, maintain, and protect my new bathrooms. Each bathroom is now, or will be, tiled.

Unlike the bathrooms, the new kitchen tile, which is drying as I write, will be used endlessly. Sometimes my counters are whipped down a dozen or more times a day. In the past, I've simply cleaned my counters with soap and water, using the same product as I use for hand cleaning the dishes, and then following up with an antibacterial whip. What now would be the best approach or products to use for this type of continuous cleaning up without hurting the new porclean tiles and Hydromount dry tile grout?

By the way, this site has been a wonderful find for me. I've been reading and reading and learning so much. What a helpful experience.

Thank you for sharing.
BJW

p.s. What's "post a poll" mean?

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Check out the forum over at John Bridge for tile info!
A poll is like a suvey. You could say, "Which product do I wipe my counters with?"

Options for Product A, Product B, Product C and let them vote and see the rankings.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The secret for kitchen counter tops is to seal the grout. Get a top quality sealer from someone like TileLab, and redo the sealer twice a year.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
jimbo said:
The secret for kitchen counter tops is to seal the grout. Get a top quality sealer from someone like TileLab, and redo the sealer twice a year.

Don't they have some rubbery silicone type faux grouts for kitchen tiles? Oh oh...I read some where...The Family Handyman, April 200, Page 106. No-stain grout. Apparently made with 100% recyucles glass spheres. No staining since the aggregate isn't jagged like sand. Prism SureColor grout from Custom Building Products

Custom Building Products
800-272-8786
www.custombuildingproducts.com

Jason

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you want to go for the extra expense, you can use an epoxy grout. Then, no sealers are used (unless the tile is porous like some stones). These are often specified in commercial kitchens and can take the abuse. They don't typically stain, either.

If you use a cement based product, you would want to use a ph neutral tile cleaning product. Repeated use of acidic products will play hell with the sealer and actually (eventually) start to eat away the cement in the grout. As noted, a really good resource on tiling questions is www.johnbridge.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks