Cleaning out galvanized pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Jdoll42

Computer Systems Engineer
Reaction score
Wow...spending all that time "fixing" his pipes when he could just replace them. He's just going to end up with the same problem down the road again. Wouldn't copper or PEX have been easier?

Also, I wonder how he "fixed" the pipes in the walls? What about all the fittings? Surely he didn't try to "rod" them out too?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like some engineer at work trying to save some money, present company excluded, of course. :D:D:D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Sounds like some customer who got a price for repiping with copper and decided there was a "cheaper and easier" way to do it. I wonder how he sealed all the holes when he cut out the rust that was sealing theml. Also makes you wonder what has gone on in the past if he has unions on almost every length of pipe.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would use 3/4" CPVC except for single services where I would use 1/2". It is inexpensive and a lot easier to use than copper. It could be installed will less trouble than re-installing the galvanized pipe that is no longer galvanized.

R

Rancher

Sounds like some engineer at work trying to save some money, present company excluded, of course.
I resemble that remark... however I would never try to rod out galvanized pipe.

Rancher

Fubar411

Reaction score
Funny thing, is I did this years ago when my cheap lawyer sister bought a house. She makes $100k a year, but isn't planning on staying in the house very long. The basement pipes were all galv, and a makeshift shower in the basement had the hot water feeding into the cold water for the kitchen. The cold water for the kitchen was completely blocked by the sediment, so you'd always end up with a warm to hot glass of water.

My father and I reamed out the pipes in the basement and it was enough to get another 10 years out of the system. Looking back, a repipe would have been the right thing to do, but we would have had to get the water shut off at the street as the inside shut off was stuck to "on".

It was a huge mess and we used up all her wire hangers and several drill bits, but it fixed the problem.

(no, I'm definitely not a plumber)

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
That sounds like some cheap skate who has lots of time on their hands.

Imagine paying a plumber to rod out all the galvanized pipes at todays prices.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I bet this guy was a house flipper!

If you watch the "house flipper" TV shows it is apparent that most of the "upgrades" are cosmetic "lick and a promise" type things that are not going to look good or work well for very long after the sale.

Also, the prices they show for the fix-ups are only for material and completely disregard the owner-labor and even the professional labor for the work.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Flip this house

The "flip" only has to look good until the cameras are turned off and the house is listed. Did you see the one where the girl got all her friends to contribute labor for the demolition? Many of them, by the time they downgrade their asking price, and then pay the realtor's commission may not make anything, even when they do not figure in their labor.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
the man is an idiot

Is it just me, or does this seem a little silly?

http://www.lafn.org/~dave/rodding-pipe.html

The guy is removing the galvanized pipe and then putting it back!

Jason

You would have to be nuts to do this....

Looks like something that they would try to pan off on people on the show "this old house"

I could just see old Bob Veela trying to drill out old galvanized pipes

all I know is a guy like that would be the

customer from hell......that you whould just have to

run away from....

"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks