Cleaning foam and adhesive off abs before solvent cementing

Users who are viewing this thread

jspx

Reaction score
I'm re-doing a very poorly done bathroom and all of the plumbing is a complete rip out (zero slope, sani-tees on their back to move waste etc) but all of the piping including the 3" heading out of the room was wrapped in silver foil foam insulation, the type for heating ducts. It's left foam chunks and adhesive residue all on the pipe. I can scrape the foam but the glue isn't coming off and it doesn't look anywhere clean enough to cement to. It also extends under the floor out of the room for several feet so there's nowhere to cut it back to either. Are there any products that I can use to remove the residue (wd-40, mineral spirits, goo gone, ???) that won't damage the pipe or interfere with the solvent cement later?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I use that foam foil all the time, but why it was used for drain, I have no idea. The previous owners may have thought it was a good soundproofing measure, and that is not the product for it.

Those foam chunks is an adhesive tape, Goo-Gone will work.

I don't know how much workspace you have, but wrap the gunky areas with just 1 layer of paper towel, then soak the crap out of it with Goo-Gone, then cover the whole workspace with clear food wrap to stop the Goo-Gone from evaporating.

You'll leave it like this overnight, and then you will see it come off easily as you rub it all off with the same piece of the paper towel.

Don't scrape ABS too much, it is soft, and after you remove all the glue, you will see all the extra skid marks you made earlier, but the glue should seal that up.

jspx

Reaction score
That's what I'm assuming too, all the abs was wrapped but it certainly didn't do anything about the sound. I've only got a little space to bottom of the pipe but there should be enough room to get paper towels in.

My scraping has been pretty gentile, just a plastic putty knife, I was worried about gouging with a scraper or razor; hopefully that didn't do any damage to the pipe that the glue can't fill

Thanks for the suggestions!

jspx

Reaction score
WHY are you trying to reuse the pipe. If you have to cut the fittings off, it will be too short anyway.

It's the drain coming into the bathroom, the connection to the vertical stack appears to be (from using a bright flashlight and sticking my head in the joist cavity) about 5 feet out of the room and they've slid about a 3 foot piece of the foam under the pipe into the joist cavity going out to another room. I'm just trying to get a couple inches clean so I can glue a coupling on and start over.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You want to clean off 2" - why can't you use an ABS pipe cleaner (Weld-On)? Try copper pipe sanding cloth also. Chunks of crap can be removed with a utility knife, but don't damage the ABS pipe.
You also mentioned "zero slope". Do you intend to fix that?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks