Clean out question

Users who are viewing this thread

Dmt78

Reaction score
The plans on the house we are building showed 1 clean out at the very beginning of the drain near the top of the floor plan below. I was reading in the 2015 IPC and sounds like I need a clean out where the main drain exits the house into the sewage treatment plant in the yard. If so,
Should it point towards the house or treatment tank or both (2way)?

Thanks.

IPC - 708.3.5 Building drain and building sewer junction.
There shall be a cleanout near the junction of the building drain and the building sewer. The cleanout shall be either inside or outside the building wall and shall be brought up to the finished ground level or to the basement floor level. An approved two-way cleanout is allowed to be used at this location to serve as a required cleanout for both the building drain and building sewer. The cleanout at the junction of the building drain and building sewer shall not be required if the cleanout on a 3-inch (76 mm) or larger diameter soil stack is located within a developed length of 10 feet (3048 mm) of the building drain and building sewer connection. The minimum size of the cleanout at the junction of the building drain and building sewer shall comply with Section 708.7.

A598C061-FA28-4963-94A8-BEBBCE0D2F1A.jpeg

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
A cleanout always points downstream unless it is a two way cleanout then it points upstream and down stream. I would install a two way cleanout, you won't use it unless more than one fixture is clogged but it might come in handy.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would consider having the bathroom door near the double lavatories to swing out. That will make door operation easier when somebody is using the right-hand lav.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I always put a cleanout at the upper end as shown and another one downstream immediately outside building or just inside . always , never considered another way.
I've noticed bathroom and bedroom doors usually open into the room closets open away from the closet don't know the reason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks