Clean-out access to 3-inch cast-iron sewer line

Users who are viewing this thread

atlld

Reaction score
I am purchasing a house (built 1955). I had the sewer lines scoped and the plumber discovered an issue.

The kitchen was recently relocated. The new 2 inch kitchen drain was brought all the way down a wall in the basement and connected in to what we assume was an old floor drain. The concrete slab was opened up and the drain removed. A section of 3-inch PVC was joined to the cast line, and stepped down to the 2 inch kitchen line, all underground and now covered in new concrete. There is a clean-out on the wall section, but only 2 inch.

From the scope video, we know that the cast drain line is badly scaled and in some places the available diameter is quite small. The plumber said that feeding the new 2 inch kitchen line into this old cast iron line will result in issues sooner or later. He said that the cast line should be cleaned, but because of the improper installation, it can only be jetted. There is only a 2 inch clean-out! A 3-inch blade can't fit through the clean-out.

What should have been done is to bring the 3 inch line up out of the floor, with a 3 inch clean-out, and connect the new 2 inch kitchen line above that. This way, the old 3 inch cast sewer line would be completely accessible through a 3-inch clean-out.

My question is this. I have a small window to ask for repairs here. Should I just ask for jet cleaning and resign myself to having to do jetting forever in the future? Or, should I ask the seller to open the floor and bring the 3 inch line up to a 3 inch clean-out.

I called a reputable plumbing company and based on my description of the job, they quoted $1,000 to open the floor and make the repair. I have been told that jet cleaning can be $350 typically. I am inclined to request this be repaired properly, but am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Thanks!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When buying a home, I think you are better off taking what is there and upgrading after move in. That being said, sometimes you get lucky.
My home that I bought in 2005 had a new furnace installed as part of the inspection. The heat exchanger had perforated. I felt bad for the previous renters as they must have lived there with awful air.
A kitchen line with a 2" cleanout is fine by code. There should have been an end of line cleanout for the 3", but it sounds like that was left off or buried in a wall when the home was built.
Cast iron does get old, some of my mothers home still has cast that's working well since 1952. Not much though, as I remodeled one bath in the 70's and the other was done by someone else in the 60's.
I've looked at some cast from the 30's and 40's and some of that was still useful. Where I live in the Seattle area, with all the Amazon and Microsoft workers, the older homes are being removed and new homes replace them. There are still plenty of working homes from the 1920's though with original waste lines. You can consider using something like Bio-Clean which is an enzyme that eats grease and doesn't touch the metal pipes. It cleans the pipe in the full circle, unlike the acids that just burn a hole at the bottom of the line, and sometimes burn the line itself.
I use Bio-Clean on my kitchen sink line, as it's a 2" line from the far side of the home. I have a 25 YO software writer son that is rather careless with the disposer and what goes down it.
I've avoided using a snake on it. It is ABS though, so it's a bit easier to keep clear. I have pulled out ABS was was solid with grease from other homes.

Terry Love

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks