Clawfoot tub??

Users who are viewing this thread

knitandthecity

Reaction score
I'm in the process of buying an apartment and I'd like to re-do the bathroom. I want to put in a clawfoot tub (or pedestal tub).

I have no idea what to look for, what the "gotcha's" are, or if this can even be done.

I will be getting a contractor to do the work, but I'd like to understand my options...or even understand what to ask before I get someone.

This is the current state of the bathroom:
7361be_6aaccfc4fbde44d890fa260c77df4045.jpg_srz_p_900_601_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As my dad used to say, "Anything is possible if you have enough money and time", and that applies to your situation also. Call a contractor to get an estimate.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
To install a clawfoot there, you will need to move the plumbing , retile the floor and wall that is removed, and like mentioned in the other post, look at your clearance to the toilet.
It sure looks nice in the photo. :)

spaces_6290.jpg

Here is a clawfoot tub that I plumbed for.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I installed a Koehler claw foot soaking tub in the master bath because the wife wanted it. I bet it didn't get used a dozen times in the first few months and now, never. Big expense, waste of money.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Everything looks really nice as is, though the tub valves look like an esthetic spider in the bed. I'd have to take a long deep breath before picking up the nine-pound hammer on this one.
Yeah, all the tile would have to be smashed out. That old tile is typically way thick mud with some intense demo considerations and probably some build-back to raise the floor to the Whipple level. A little know-how and a lot of work.
If you go this route, you may be looking to put in a retro look tub, or even an antique clawfoot. Make it easy on yourself and buy new. Swear to God, I could do an HBO stand-up comedy routine describing the freaking clawfoot tubs I've put in, bought by the customer at junk shops. They've got the wrong feet and you can't move the tub without one falling off, the faucet has a patent day of July, 1894 and the washers are worn out, and on and on. Shoot me in the head.
If you've got the cash and want what you want, go for it. It ain't the Louvre. Maybe it's time for a change. I may have to clean this up later, but you get the gist.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks