Clawfoot tub water supply - flex?

Users who are viewing this thread

ChrisRice

Reaction score
I have a clawfoot tub in a basement. The old supply lines - well - let's just say the decided to not work anymore. Putting the compression rigid lines back in place seems like a bad idea as the tub is set up in a way where they're pretty easy to bump

What I'd like to do is replace the rigid supply line with the braided flexible lines. I've searched everywhere for someone trying to do the same thing and haven't had any luck finding one (including here), so if there's a thread already similar to this, sorry...

Here's my issue:
a 1/2FIP to 3/4FIP flexible line only seems to exist and they're out of stock for the next 2 mos or so. (I don't want to wait, but my guess is I'm going to have to)

I tried a 1/2 to 1/2 hose with a brass 3/4 to 1/2 reducer on the faucet connections and it leaks like a sieve. I've tried pipe dope, teflon tape, both, none, tight, tighter, stupid tight, and everywhere in between and the leak always happens between the brass adapter and the faucet (hose connections work just dandy).

Any thoughts on why this might be? I'm bamboozled by the whole thing.

Any help, thoughts, suggestions and/or alternative ideas is much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
If you have a real OLD claw foot tub and faucets the connection to the faucets may not be a standard fitting, you may need part of what you have taken out to get it to hook up, sorry

ChrisRice

Reaction score
Nope it's a 3/4" MIP it had a compression fitting rigid supply line on both ends. I could go that route again (I assume) it's just there's a 99.9999999999999% chance those lines will get bumped pretty good which is what caused the last failure.

Tub's old faucet looks relatively new.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its compression not mip, theres a difference.

clawfoot_2218.jpg

Rubber cone washers with friction rings.

Thassler

Reaction score
You can get special supply couplings that will take your 3/4 faucet ends down to a 1/2" IPS male connection so you can then use standard braided faucet supply lines. You can google "clawfoot tub supply couplings". (I'd post a link on where I purchased mine, but I don't think the forum allows?)

Trey

ChrisRice

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks Jerome. I had no idea there was a difference.

I've found some of the couplings you mentioned Trey (don't want to post link for reasons you mentioned) do they make them not in an ell form? The only thing I've been able to find are ells. Not going to be picky about it just curious. You can e-mail or pm me where you got yours I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Asktom

Reaction score
Those will work. The threads on the valve are straight, not tapered like a pipe fitting. The seal is made by compressing a washer, not with the threads.

ChrisRice

Reaction score
I wouldn't have ruined the threads on the faucet threads by trying to put the wrong fitting on it would I?

Thassler

Reaction score
I wouldn't have ruined the threads on the faucet threads by trying to put the wrong fitting on it would I?

Shouldn't have. You couldn't get a seal using a female threaded adapter due to the threads on the faucet being straight and not tapered as asktom mentioned. The supply couplings (ells) use a flat washer that seals against the tip of the faucet pipe.

ChrisRice

Reaction score
Fantastic. Thanks for all the help! Anyone has a web design, home theater, or pc trouble shooting question I'm all yours!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Actually, the inlets to a tub faucet have a taper machined into them. In the old days we used solid "tailpieces with a tapered nose" and a lock nut to connect to the faucet. A flexible hose supply with a gasket will seal to the faucet, although I question how "pretty" it will look.

ChrisRice

Reaction score
Actually, the inlets to a tub faucet have a taper machined into them. In the old days we used solid "tailpieces with a tapered nose" and a lock nut to connect to the faucet. A flexible hose supply with a gasket will seal to the faucet, although I question how "pretty" it will look.

That's what I wanted to do initially just use a hose, problem is I've only found one with 3/4 on one end and 1/2 on the other and when I tried to order it there was a 70 day wait (maybe more), that was a month ago, so it should be approximately 40 days now, I was just trying to find a different solution.

The flexible lines on there now (where the 3/4 to 1/2 coupler leaks) actually look pretty good. Pretty enough for the wife, so I think we're good.

Thanks for the input. I feel like a tool for not realizing the threads were different!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
clawfoot_2217.jpg

You can pick up solid risers still for the old clawfoot tubs. These are brass plated stops with rigid supply lines.
There were from, Sign of the Crab

lunghd

Reaction score
sounds like you need a couple clawfoot ells

Joined & replying to this old, old post specifically to help someone else who can't figure out why they can't seal their clawfoot tub's faucets from leaking. Believe it or not, this is one of the very, very, very few search results that pop up with the information. Most of the results for 'clawfoot tub faucet leaks' etc are SEO optimized crap trying to drag you over to a plumbing supply house that sells only left-handed metric shower heads. Finding this thread and it's one vague mention of the ells helped me rephrase the search so I wanted to say thanks and hopefully save the next guy a lot of grief.

'Clawfoot tub ells' is exactly the phrase you should search for on the googlebing and this is a direct link to them online: CLAWFOOT TUB ELLS

It's the tapered metal cone/seat that does the trick sealing on your clawfoot tub's faucet. You're not going to find these at Lowes although if you have a solid local hardware or plumbing supply house you might find someone who knows what you're after.

(Yes admins! I dug up an old post... but if I had found this old post when I first started working on that damned tub I'd be taking baths in it now instead of waiting on ells to arrive!)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks