Clawfoot tub supply line slipping, buckling, leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Jared Stein

Reaction score
I'm restoring an old house and think I made a mistake in the installation of rigid supply lines for the clawfoot tub. To be honest, I couldn't find a good guide on how to attach these rigid lines to PEX, so I improvised.

The problem I'm having is that the new rigid supply lines occasionally slip and buckle (for lack of a better term), causing a misty leak near the shutoff valve.

When this happens, I simply loosen the nut, reposition the rubber washer, and retighten. This is only a temporary fix until they buckle again.

This is what it looks like when it's not leaking. When it does leak, the angle is a bit more severe:

ACtC-3eNkkRwn6BdCb1zzyA0MnjoDx48O4FSHG2Iqz3dcm5Avd2nBeyoaP6PtPFJ3cPWSzBWZaZrkodC-JthlQXFRGT5NflGb8V-mwGLp6t3sfiYfej5ypR2m6uDHb9FOWV_WCFkIMCe7lLDCRypAIKUu4YH=w400-no

The rigid line is attached with a rubber cone washer / friction ring to a male-female adapter which is attached to the shutoff valve, which the PEX clamps to over the flange.

As you can see, the rigid lines that we bought didn't come with their own valve shutoffs / flanges, so I used what I could get at the hardware store.

I think the leak happens because the PEX moves under pressure. If so, how can I secure the PEX so it doesn't wiggle?

The holes in the floor are bigger than the PEX (that's just how they were), so perhaps I need to fill the gaps (e.g. with wood as I assume most compounds would damage the PEX)?

Or perhaps I cut the rigid line too short?

Or maybe I should just spring for shutoff valves with flanges/escutcheons like these ($$) or these ($$$)? The latter suggests it comes with a "supply stop" that perhaps secures the IPS to the escutcheon, but I'm not sure that will solve this.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?resources/non-flex-copper-supply-riser.23/

The rigid line is attached with a rubber cone washer / friction ring to a male-female adapter which is attached to the shutoff valve, which the pex clamps to over the flange.
I think you are describing a leak where that chromed copper tube goes into the compression fitting.

Usually that compression fitting would use a brass ferrule over the chromed tube.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?resources/non-flex-copper-supply-riser.23/ is my writeup, which is not based on my experience. I just thought it was interesting, and read what others had written.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
OD Compression is going to be better than the rubber cones that you have now. There are several makers of that size stop out there.

clawfoot-grape.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks