Users who are viewing this thread

Shuroko65

Reaction score
20211112_201349.jpg
20211112_201359.jpg
20211112_201349.jpg
20211112_201359.jpg
Hey everyone,

I'm new here and I am also a new home owner...I recently bought a house that's got a 30 year old water heater I believe. It's electric.

When moving in we noticed a terrible smell from the hot water only, did not come from the cold water. This is water from a well. About 2 months ago I researched a lot and changed the anode rod in the tank. Wasn't too bad, it actually went pretty smooth. The smell actually cleared up for awhile, about a month and now I've noticed that it's come back stronger than ever. I did turn up the water to about 140 degrees but it seems to have done next to nothing. I only adjusted the lower thermostat. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can try turning it up again on both the upper and lower. Or is it just time for a new water heater? I'll try and attach some pictures. Thanks for your time.

Reach4

Reaction score
There is a good chance that a new water heater won't help. A magnesium anode helps produce H2S best and protect the WH best. An aluminum anode produces less H2S and protects medium. A powered anode does not produce H2S and protects as well as magnesium. I like the Ceranode anode, even tho it costs more, because it has the longer anode electrode.

Some just replace the anode with a 3/4 inch brass plug. It does not protect the WH, but you were willing to buy a new WH anyway.

I would sanitize my well, plumbing and WH if weather permits. Takes me maybe 32 hours. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my sanitizing write-up

Last edited:

Shuroko65

Reaction score
There is a good chance that a new water heater won't help. A magnesium anode helps produce H2S best and protect the WH best. An aluminum anode produces less H2S and protects medium. A powered anode does not produce H2S and protects as well as magnesium. I like the Ceranode anode, even tho it costs more, because it has the longer anode electrode.

Some just replace the anode with a 3/4 inch brass plug. It does not protect the WH, but you were willing to buy a new WH anyway.

I would sanitize my well, plumbing and WH if whether permits. Takes me may 32 hours. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my sanitizing write-up

Thanks for the quick response, yeah the anode I used was the cheapest one possible, a zinc coated aluminum. Probably should have spent some more money on it. I would rather not replace the unit, and I will definitely give the sanitation a shot. The water heater is still working fine.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
30 years aint bad wish mine lasted 10 or the one before that house 21 years old 3rd water heater

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks