Clack WS1CS settings after hardness test

Users who are viewing this thread

MaxJ2

Reaction score
A little over 1 year ago I had a Clack WS1CS valve and 10x54 tank installed. It was sold as a 45,000 grain system. The installer programmed all the settings; however, after researching and learning more about softeners, I am certain the water was never tested for hardness. The company is no longer in business so I am looking here for some assistance.

The softener works fine even though a recent hardness test showed a much lower value than what was previously programmed (tested today at 19 instead of the programmed 32). I do have heavy iron, but have an iron filter installed between the well and softener. There is no smell or staining so I expect the iron filter to be doing its job. Even so, I probably want to add 3-5 grains of hardness due to normal fluctuations and iron that may not be filtered out. Does that make sense?

Now that I have a more accurate hardness number to go off of, I wonder if the salt dose can be adjusted. The installer set it for 16 lbs. It's not stated in the manual if this is 16 lbs per cubic foot or 16 lbs total. If it’s per cubic foot, then I am using 24 lbs per regen. Seems excessive.

Basically, I want to correct the settings and make the unit as efficient as possible while striking a balance between salt usage and frequency of regen. I don’t really want an excessive amount of salt to end up in my septic system, nor do I want to use an ocean of water.

The softener is installed in a 4-person household. Based on data stored in the WS1, I was able to calculate an average daily water usage of 185 gallons per day (let’s say 200 to make it easy).

My current settings are...

Post refill
P24 program code
42 capacity (42000)
16 lb salt dose
Auto gallon capacity
Normal regen time
32 hardness
14 day override
2 am regen time

What settings do you recommend for salt dose and hardness for my system? Additionally, is the current value of 42 correct for a 45000 grain system or does this need to be adjusted as well? I thought I read somewhere that it should be 20% less than the total grain capacity. So it should be 36000 instead of 42000, right?

I look forward to receiving some new setting recommendations and want to thank you in advance for your help!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Post refill
P24 program code
36 capacity (36000)
14 lb salt dose (A LITTLE EXTRA FOR THE IRON POTENTIAL)
Auto gallon capacity
Normal regen time
22 hardness (A little extra for iron potential)
14 day override
2 am regen time

The salt setting is actual, not per ft3

Bannerman

Reaction score
How was hardness determined? Hardness strips are not very accurate. A Hach 5B Total Hardness test kit is recommended. The 5B may be used for testing not only raw hardness, but also to periodically verify the softener's operation.

Last edited:

MaxJ2

Reaction score
Thanks ditttohead for the settings reco! That's pretty much what I was thinking and feel better knowing I am on the right track.

Bannerman, hardness was tested with the Hatch 5B. I plan on using this test to monitor softness after I make setting changes especially when nearing my reserve capacity.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Excellent test kit! Don't over think it, since you have a known iron issue, assume your iron reduction system does an adequate but nor perfect job, build in a little reserve for the softener and add a little citric acid to your brine tank occasionally and all should be good.

MaxJ2

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on using citric acid. I have used Iron Out in the past with no issues, but will certainly switch products if citric acid works as good and is safer for my septic system. You mentioned adding citric acid to the brine tank...just clarifying this should be in powder form and added directly to the salt. Thanks!

I changed the settings on my WS1 several days ago and tonight is the first regen with the new settings. Obviously, the gallon capacity increased after the changes were made and I am happy to report the water is still soft with about 200 gallons remaining. So far, so good!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks