Clack WS1 - Valve Body Issue? - Pulling Regenerant in Rinse?

Users who are viewing this thread

WKDiesel

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a MPM Greensand Filter and experiencing pink water. I think the issue is related the switch from Backwash to Rinse in the Regeneration Cycle.

Is this normal operation? When the valve body switch from Backwash to Rinse and the Brine tank is full the system can pull solution from the Brine Tank? I look at the manual and it seems like that there is no way for this to happen except when the valve body is changing positions?

If the valve body is pulling regenerant during rinse do I have a defective body?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Probably not a defective body but likely a worn SEAL/SPACER/PISTON issue. How old is the unit?

What is the programming? Here is a typical regeneration sequence

Backwash 10 minutes
Brine/Rinse (same cycle, "rinse" starts when the regenerant is removed from the tank) 60 minutes (highly variable
2nd backwash (usually required on a Clack Valve, even if the programming doesnt indicate it 1-10 minutes
Rapid Rinse 5-10 minnutes
Brine Refill, set to proper amount based on system design.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
I think you are asking when the regenerate is drawn into the filter media.

Just as brine is drawn into the media tank during the slow rinse cycle for a water softener, similarly, your Greensand filter regenerate maybe drawn into the media while a slow rinse is being performed.

Water for the slow rinse is directed through an injector which acts as a Venturi to create suction on a side port to draw brine or other regenerate into the media tank.

What regenerate is being used and what is the length of the slow rinse cycle? It would also be helpful if you state your current dosing procedure as well as your water's current lab test results.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
I just viewed your other post in the pump forum: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/submersible-pump-failure-pink-water.73721/

You mention water softener, Greensand filter and UV system in that order. Is that the actual order the devices are installed?

If you are having issues with your well or pump, the regeneration cycles for the softner and especially the Greensand filter since it will require the highest backwash flow rate, may not be adequate. Without proper regeneration, the units will not be able to fully perform their individual tasks as intended.

Edited to add: Since your other thread does not specify which device is experiencing the surging rinse, just wanted to ensure both the filter and softener are not regenerating at the same time. Both units need to be programed to regenerate during alternate time periods.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks