Clack WS1 Settings

Users who are viewing this thread

APG12

Reaction score
I have a Clack WS1 water softener that I realized is not properly programmed.

I did a bunch of searching and see some recommended setting, but I having a hard time understanding how to determine the correct capacity and pounds of salt to be programmed.

The tank is a 12x52 2cu ft. It was set from the factory at 24000 and 9lbs of salt. That doesn’t seem ideal, so how do I know what to adjust the settings to?

Hardness is about 18gpg.

Bannerman

Reaction score
You didn't mention if your water source is municipal or a private well.

A private well may also have iron and/or manganese present which will also consume softening capacity so it's best to have a lab test performed for the raw well water so as to identify all conditions.

If the water source is municipal, it will not contain iron or manganese, but a municipal supply will be often obtained from multiple sources with various amounts of hardness. It is then advisable to program the softener for 2 additional grains per gallon hardness to anticipate occasions when hardness exceeds the amount your hardness test.

A softener containing 2 ft3 resin will be typically programmed with a 48,000 grain Capacity setting as that will require only 16 lbs salt (8 lbs per ft3).

APG12

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response - went on vacation and forgot about this post.

Not sure how much water we use but it’s definitely substantial. We’re on a private well and a lab test was done. No iron but manganese was at 1.7.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks