Clack WS1 fills salt tank during regen instead of draw

Users who are viewing this thread

DHO

Reaction score
Recently, my water softer stopped working. Clack ws1 CD.

I took it apart and found it was filthy. I cleaned it out, including all the valves and spacers.
Afterward, it still would not regenerate.

The backwash, rinse, and fill steps seem to work.
But during regenerate/brine draw stage water FILLs the salt tank instead of drawing brine from it.

So, I replaced the seal pack, brine piston, piston, inlet valve, inlet value, and the white injector. I figured that's all the critical parts.
All replaced and exact same issue..... during regenerate/brine stage water FILLs the brine tank.

I checked to ensure the brine hose is clear. It will easily pull fluid in both directions.

Next, I cleaned and regenerated the resin tank.... no affect.

So, now I make the assumption the valve controller head has to be cracked or otherwise broken.
I replaced the controller valve. I got a WS1 CS. And the exact same problem..... during regenerate/brine stage water FILLs the salt tank.

I'm at a lose... Any suggestions?

Photo of the water entering the brine tank, instead of drawing out brine:

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
During the brine draw cycle, remove the drain line completely. Remove the drain clip, remove the drain elbow, then see if it draws.
1646238484470.png

Reactions: DHO

Reach4

Reaction score
A simple test to see if it is the media, remove the riser pipe inside the tank and try again.
But getting the riser/distributor pipe back in would typically be hard if there is gravel.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
do something simple and see what happens.....
maybe you have already done this, i dont know
but you have certainly done everything else to that clack unit already......

I just had one where the brand new suction hose just had a small leak or warp in the pipe
and it was just a matter of getting a new hose and then it worked fine...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks