Clack WS-1 backwash problem

Users who are viewing this thread

BRob

Reaction score
Softener....
Clack WS 1.5 cu ft, installed March 2006.

First, a few weeks ago, when I went to add salt, the water level in the tank was up high, pretty much to where the float shuts it off. I haven't had much time to look closely at it until this weekend. (mean while were still getting somewhat soft water).

So here's what I could diagnose... after taking it all apart, and also running numerous REGEN cycles...

1. It seems to be stepping through all of the cycles correctly... so I think the electronics are OK.
Fill - 5 min.
Softening - 120 min.
Backwash - 8 min.
Brine - 45 min.
Backwash2 - 5 min.
Rinse - 4 min.
Fill - 3 secs.

2. I think the problem is with the Backwash stages. It doesn't siphon the salt water back into the softener (or at least very, very slowly). I pulled the plumbing out of the salt tank, and watched it operate in a bucket. It fills great, but doesn't siphon it back as I expect. It does seem to get some... as I could see small bubbles (after lifting the plumbing out of the bucket for an instant). The bubbles would move at about 1 inch every few seconds... seemed very slow to me.

3. I when through the service manual... pretty much had everything apart... seal/stack assembly. I didn't see any obvious issues. The injector seemed to be fine.

What could be the problem?
Maybe a seal.... that's causing the siphoning not to work properly?

Thanks for any help.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
probably something simple

pm gary sussler and he will know more about it

on most brands the brine tank is usually a sympton of
an air break in teh line that wont allow it to suck in the brine to the resin bed..
and eventually the unit fills up with extra water it dont need

usually its just a loose suction line is the problem on most models

but it sounds like you have probably already thought of that yourself

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Also check the injector screen filter and check the 'washer' like drain line flow control in the bottom of the 3/4" MPT drain line elbow isn't blocked by something.

And let it in the Brining position for like 30 minutes and make sure water doesn't start going into the brine tank.

And if you can't find the cause, call me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks