City compliance issue. Berwyn, IL

Users who are viewing this thread

RK3640

Reaction score
the city of Berwyn, Il has cited a compliance issue with braided flex supply lines on residential sinks and toilets stating that they must be converted to solid pipe. I have searched the 2005 state of Il plumbing code and well as the city of Chicago code and could not find anything referring to this issue. I've asked the city of Berwyn to provide me with some documentation and, they could not. they only told me that the city follows the 2005 Illinois state code. can anyone provide me with some professional insight on this?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK, not professional, but I recall this issue coming up a long while back. I remember it because it was the first time I had found out that some areas require solid piping to/from water heaters. Memory says it was a plumber in the Chicago area that said that solid was required there. FWIW, my area wants flex connections. Seems there are arguments on both sides. But, Rule #10 says always go with local code.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, there's a difference between corrugated, flexible copper or SS used for a WH, and the plastic hoses often used for toilets and sinks. What would seem to be problematic is that on many faucets, they are integral with the thing, and you have no choice! Areas subject to earthquakes tend to require flexible connections to things like a WH along with strapping them to the wall so that they can't fall over. Not quite the same issue with a sink! Not all flexible lines are created equal, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks