Cistern water level indicator

Users who are viewing this thread

Boerdoc

Reaction score
We have a 4000 gal. cistern (2x2000) and last night we ran out of water unexpectedly. We were doing lots of irrigating and our wells could not keep up I guess. I would like to install a water level indicator that would tell me when we are low or when we need to stop the irrigating. We have a family of 5 at home so our needs are not 4000 gal/day. Our wells produce 1-2 gal/minute or so. This varies tremendously. 1-2 gal is during the slow times. So at least 1440 gal/day. The cistern is only 30 feet away from the garage. I already have an unused 24v sprinkler line if it can be wired with that.

Any suggestions? I would like to be able to monitor remotely in the house. This is an option but I am not sure of the quality.
http://rainharvesting.com.au/product/wireless-tank-gauge/

Thanks for any advice.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would use a normally closed, piggyback ,float switch approved for potable water and connect it to an alarm or light etc.

Boerdoc

Reaction score
Thanks smooky. That will work for an alarm. I want to have a level indicator instead.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There are all kinds of ways to do levels. What Smooky described could be a level or alarm. And you could do three or four float switches at different levels with the bottom one being the alarm.

You could also just have a float in the tank attached to a rod that sticks up out of the tank.

If you want to get fancy use a pressure transducer at the bottom of the tank that sends a 4-20ma signal to a receiver at the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks