Cistern overflowing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Dragos2017

Reaction score
It used to be I didn't have enough water..

Now that I hired the guy to come out and replace the pump (it was 10 sections of 20ft PVC- I'm glad I didn't tackle this alone- AND nuked the well with bleach), the cistern is overflowing.

I'm taking it that this is a sign of a bad float switch at the top? Is there anything else it can be?

I've shut off the power until I can get a plan- water is pouring out of the electrical box.

Thanks in advance!

(Also, I plan on adding a 3k gallon cistern if I'm getting excess- in the middle of the desert I'll store whatever I can get extra)

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm taking it that this is a sign of a bad float switch at the top? Is there anything else it can be?
Either the float switch, a relay that the float switch controls if any, or maybe it is wiring.

Your well guy or you should have lifted the float switch to see if the pump shut off while he was still there.

Dragos2017

Reaction score
It was the float. I replaced it and everything is good. Thanks Reach4!

Now I'm going to buy another cistern and figure out how to connect the two.. If I'm pumping this much water I want to be able to store it.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Even though your well is a low producer, there are many thousands of gallons stored in the well. Adding another storage tank only means the water will be sitting in storage for much longer before it is used. The longer water is in the storage tank, the more chlorine you will need to add to keep stuff from growing in the water.

Dragos2017

Reaction score
Even though your well is a low producer, there are many thousands of gallons stored in the well. Adding another storage tank only means the water will be sitting in storage for much longer before it is used. The longer water is in the storage tank, the more chlorine you will need to add to keep stuff from growing in the water.

On a good day, I have about 160 gallons stored up in the well. It's 212 feet down with a static water level at about 90 ft. - 6" opening. Sometimes we get more water than we use, other times we don't The pump was really bad so that might have been a factor of how much water we got in a certain time period. With the horses and chickens, I don't think we'll have to wait long to cycle it out. Where I live- stored water is a good thing. Trying to figure out a way to hook it up and use it as one big cistern- but if I have to use another pump to transfer it over when I need to I'm good with that.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
On a good day, I have about 160 gallons stored up in the well. It's 212 feet down with a static water level at about 90 ft. - 6" opening. Sometimes we get more water than we use, other times we don't The pump was really bad so that might have been a factor of how much water we got in a certain time period. With the horses and chickens, I don't think we'll have to wait long to cycle it out. Where I live- stored water is a good thing. Trying to figure out a way to hook it up and use it as one big cistern- but if I have to use another pump to transfer it over when I need to I'm good with that.

Understood! OK all you have to do it tee the bottom outlet ports of two storage tanks together. This can also be on the same line as the booster pump draws water from. So you don't need a pump to transfer water from one tank to another, just a booster pump to draw from the storage tanks and boost as much water as you need to the house and stuff.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks