Cistern or Well?

Users who are viewing this thread

NewOldHome

Reaction score
Hi everyone. We just purchased a home that was built in 1920. When we purchased the home we were told it had a cistern with a broken pump. As it turns out the pump works fine, it was just a loose electrical connection.

Anyway, looking into the cistern I am now wondering if this is really a well. It is about six feet in diameter and about six feet deep. At the bottom is the pump and a blue canister which I am guessing is for holding pressure. There is a pipe which runs from the pump down into the center of the cistern floor. When we turned on the pump, water was spraying out of one of the hoses and was draining into our basement where it collected in our french drain and was pumped out by the sump pump into our yard.

What doesn't make sense to me is that, if this was to collect rain water, why is there a drain allowing water to enter our basement? Shouldn't it just fall back into the water supply? Also, the cistern is empty of water, so the water it is pumping is coming from the pipe in the cistern floor. Could this be a cistern that was turned into a well, or is it possible that there is a floor that seporates the water supply from the pump (this seems unlikely since the pump is 6 feet down in the cistern and the drain going into our basement would be pointless (there is no other openening to collect water).

Thanks in advance!

Speedbump

Reaction score
This could be an old cistern with a well drilled down the middle or it could just be a well pit. Without pictures it's hard to tell.

bob...

NewOldHome

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I'll post some pictures and will do some reasearch on a vault.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks