CI Stack Question

Users who are viewing this thread

SeaDave

Reaction score
Terry,

Switching from my son’s second floor remodel to my own 1926 single story cottage with basement. There is 1 bedroom and bathroom on the main floor and a second bedroom/ bathroom / laundry in the basement. Currently remodeling the main floor bathroom, and replacing the supply and drain lines. I plan to connect to existing galv vents with a mission fitting. I also plan to connect the sink sand tub drains with mission fittings to the old galv drain near where it connects to the CI stack wye.

When starting to work on the drains, I noticed some water dripping from the sink drain wye which is not connected to a sink. Probably splash from the toilet above. It looks to me like there is a lead ring around the galv drain pipe, with more lead melted between that and the CI. I read in another post of yours that you can drill then pry the lead out then use a doughnut to connect a new piece of ABS Pipe. Is there another “easier” was to fix my leak without removing the current galv pipe, particularly if you think I should replace the stack in phase 2( next paragraph). I have not done anything with CI to date. If drilling, are you using a large purpose built bit, or nibbling with a smaller one?

Later this year we plan to gut the basement (primary) bathroom and reconfigure it including getting rid of the 2 steps up to the bathroom that accommodate above basement floor drain connections. At this point we could, if smart, replace the old CI stack which can be accessed in the attic, basement and by opening a bump out that accommodates it in the closet. Not sure if it is worth it but if needed, I would rather replace it during the remodel and not after.

Thanks again for your help!

Dave

FAA8B2F2-B007-4CEC-84A3-C5ED088B2C71.jpeg
570BEF34-4952-414F-8B94-3522F1AE22BF.jpeg

Terry Love

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Removing lead from a 2" hub, I use a small bit and nibble it. Often the first bit snags and snaps. Consider them disposable.
Then you can push in a new 2" pipe with a donut and upsize from the 1.5"

And then of course, if things are fairly open, at some point a repipe is a good idea. Lead toilet bends are not a forever things.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks