CI Soil Stack Hub Leak after water test

Users who are viewing this thread

Rhem

Reaction score
I am renovating a second floor bathroom and I tied new PVC plumbing into the existing soil stack. When I did a water test, I had some leakage from the old oakum and lead hub fittings above the highest drain. I am assuming I did some damage to the pipe while cutting out the unused sections.

I am not sure how much this is an issue, but I would like at some point to install a new bathroom in the floor above. My impatient side wants to leave it and finish the project, but my gut tells me I should replace it.

Any advice? Is this normal, or a sign of failure? Like I said, as far as I know the section in question never had water.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying that you cut cast iron pipe, and left some existing cast iron above. I hope you sufficiently secured the cast iron that would stay before cutting the cast.

To stop the leak, you probably want to use a big flat blade screwdriver as a "caulking iron". The process is called caulking, and is not similar to what you use a caulking gun for. It is pounding on the lead in a controlled way.

Search, and read up on that. See if what you find makes sense to you.

Rhem

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! Yes I left some cast iron above where I cut, secured with straps. I should have made that clearer in the first post.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wise not to allow that it might not get water that high now , but later it will. I cant allow a drop of water inside a wall. too much at stake . exposed is one thing but as a pro cant really have that either.
Your home but highly advise try another test and try to tamp that down some more or remove piece and put donut and retest

Rhem

Reaction score
Thanks again, Reach4, caulking it with a screw driver worked like a charm. I ended up water testing it again today. This time I had massive water coming down from the attic. It was leaking where the CI transitions to PVC, specifically between the donut and PVC. It was original, so I am unfamiliar with what was done.

IMG_20201216_1343025.jpg

I read https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/leak-between-ci-hub-and-fernco-donut.6751/, but it won't be easy to remove as I have vents tied in.

IMG_20201216_1320119_scale.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
That picture was not up when I posted. There was a wider shot.

Are you sure the leak is at the donut, and not the underside of the fitting above? That fitting in the upper part of your picture looks cocked.

Rhem

Reaction score
Positive. The fitting is straight on above, a tad bit cocked below. I might just cut out below and transition it all to PVC with a no hub banded clamp.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If you tie a cotton string/strip just under the double santee and retest, that could confirm for sure. The cotton would stay dry if the leak were at the donut.

Rhem

Reaction score
I retested it again to be sure. The leak is definitely coming from between the donut and PVC pipe.

Rhem

Reaction score
So I ended up cutting out a bit of the cast iron, which I planned on doing at some point anyway to install a bathroom in the attic. Turns out the vents I put in were not quite in line with the soil stack. Tying them in with a double san tee and my rudimentary plumbing skills ended up pulling the pipe sideways out of the donut just enough for it to leak. And here I had thought it was someone else's fault; go figure.

Oh well, it ain't fun if I don't get to fix it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks