Chunks after raising water temperature

Users who are viewing this thread

RonBon

Reaction score
I recently bought a home that has a tankless water heater. Everything was fine until I decided to raise the water temp from 115 degrees to 135 degrees. Shortly after my faucets all have fairly large chunks of solids coming out. In fact I think it may have damaged my Moen faucet in my tub. I tried flushing out the system by running loads of water through the tub faucet but the flakes still kept coming. I'm almost positive that the rise in temp loosened buildup in the water heater. It does not have the service valves for cleaning so I assume it hasn't been cleaned since installation in 2014. My question is, can I install the service valves and flush the heater or is it too far along for that? Do I need to replace or could it be something else. Most of the plumbing is new PEX but not sure what was in the system before. No softener of filters are installed. Thanks in advance.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Install the valves for cleaning and would use a cleaner made for condensing water heaters instead of vinegar. Also check the faucet aerator after cleaning. Hopefully the lime has created hot spots in the heat exchanger causing it to leak after cleaning.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks