Chronic clog in back to back sinks

Users who are viewing this thread

thecloggermancometh

Reaction score
Have an 50 year old home with 2 sinks that connect on each side of the same wall. Pretty much every couple of days after water has been running for a while it will backup into both
sinks and not go back down for hours. I've run a snake through before and it helped, but the problem came back within a couple of months. Installed mesh strainers for both sinks and
tried draino once a month - that helped too, but eventually it came back and now it seems to be happening even more often. I don't want to risk using draino so often so I'm looking
to either find a better, more reliable way to clear the clogs or a way to snake the drain without having to go through all the effort.

What I mean by that is, both of the wall connections that the p traps for the sinks connect to go straight into each other. So when I get around to snaking, I have to manually push/pull
the head of the snake downward to make sure it doesn't just go through to the other wall opening. It's very tedious and if there's no better option than snaking it I'd like to find an easier
way to get it done. Are there metal caps I can buy to seal off the other wall opening? Like a solid metal 1.5 inch female cap?

Last time I had a plumber over all he would talk about is installing a cleanout. While I would love to put that in, I just can't afford it. I only got $200 to work with and hopefully I can do
something with that to at least stop this chronic slow drain/clog.

My shower and tub drains are fine, and same goes for kitchen sink. It's only my 2 bathroom sinks that share the same drain that have this issue. Any ideas?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT it was installed properly, there should be a cleanout in the vertical riser, but since drywallers HATE to cut holes for cleanouts it is probably buried behind the wall surface.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a roof vent right above there?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks