Chlorine injection works until I turn the water on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Bfgoodmudder

Reaction score
Hello, I’ve been reading posts trying to find my issue but it appears that when I open my water valve and allow water to flow, it stops the injection of chlorine due to water pressure. I can’t seem to find any other issue. The injector I’m using doesn’t look like other injectors I’ve seen but it’s the only one I have. Not sure if that the issue. I’ve verified the pump is working all the way through the injector and pumps into the water system and I can see the feed hose reacting to each pulse. When I turn the water on, it builds pressure and the hose stops reacting to the pulse, like it stops the flow of chlorine. Tank level isn’t dropping and I can’t detect any chlorine in my water supply. So I was hoping to get some thoughts on the possible issue. The injector has a small foam wedge where most injectors I’ve seen have a stem that protrudes into the water supply. Is that the issue maybe or something else. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Bfgoodmudder

Reaction score
Hello, I’ve been reading posts trying to find my issue but it appears that when I open my water valve and allow water to flow, it stops the injection of chlorine due to water pressure. I can’t seem to find any other issue. The injector I’m using doesn’t look like other injectors I’ve seen but it’s the only one I have. Not sure if that the issue. I’ve verified the pump is working all the way through the injector and pumps into the water system and I can see the feed hose reacting to each pulse. When I turn the water on, it builds pressure and the hose stops reacting to the pulse, like it stops the flow of chlorine. Tank level isn’t dropping and I can’t detect any chlorine in my water supply. So I was hoping to get some thoughts on the possible issue. The injector has a small foam wedge where most injectors I’ve seen have a stem that protrudes into the water supply. Is that the issue maybe or something else. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 6D06AA75-3674-42E6-BC3D-10C31E5C5DBA.jpeg
    6D06AA75-3674-42E6-BC3D-10C31E5C5DBA.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 80

Bfgoodmudder

Reaction score
Here’s a pic of the injector. Looks like it’s an LMI with a duckbill santoprene insert. As you can see there is no stem that protrudes into the water pipe. I don’t know if that makes a difference or not. All of the other injectors I’ve seen have the stem. Maybe a stenner or an LMI would work as a replacement but I’m not sure if it needs replaced or not. If the injector isn’t the issue, I’m stumped because I see no other reason for the the injection process not to work.

Bfgoodmudder

Reaction score
Bump

Reach4

Reaction score
Hello, I’ve been reading posts trying to find my issue but it appears that when I open my water valve and allow water to flow,
When you open what valve? Kitchen sink? Valve after the pressure tank?

Bfgoodmudder

Reaction score
When you open what valve? Kitchen sink? Valve after the pressure tank?
Thanks for the reply. Any valve that allows water to flow will kick the pump in due to to the flow meter operation.

I have a Unidose pump rated at 80psi and my water pressure it that or higher. So my theory is that the pump is not able to overcome line pressure. Currently looking for a solution to that problem. I’m wondering if an angled pvc pipe with fix the issue? Other than that, it looks like I need a stronger pump. Any other ideas?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Unidose pump rated at 80psi and my water pressure it that or higher.

80 psi is the usual upper pressure limit for a residential water distribution system. A 40/60 psi well system is now commonly chosen.

Reduce your well pump's pressure switch pressure range setting to 50/70 so your chemical pump will then experience lower pressure resistance and so will likely be capable of injecting the chlorine feed rate you require.

Last edited:

Bfgoodmudder

Reaction score
80 psi is the usual upper pressure limit for a residential water distribution system. A 40/60 psi well system is now commonly chosen.

Reduce your well pump's pressure switch pressure range setting to 50/70 so your chemical pump will then experience lower pressure resistance and so will likely be capable of injecting the chlorine feed rate you require.
Thanks, I was able to drop the water pressure from the well pump where it drops below 80psi for at least a few seconds before the pump kicks on. If I drop it more than that, I get no pressure at the house. But with it dropping below 80psi I should be getting some chlorine injected but I’m not. Not sure if maybe it’s not holding prime or what’s up with it. I’m also pumping into an 80gal holding tank which I was hoping would help oxidize the iron and remove some of the sulfur but so far the water has shown very little sign of improvement.

Tgmorris99

Reaction score
Make sure the duckbill isn't clogged up. I had that happen to me and the symptom was everything looked correct but the chlorinated water level wasn't dropping. I fixed it short term by clearing the the clog but finally had to replace the duckbill as it was actually broken internally.

Bfgoodmudder

Reaction score
Make sure the duckbill isn't clogged up. I had that happen to me and the symptom was everything looked correct but the chlorinated water level wasn't dropping. I fixed it short term by clearing the the clog but finally had to replace the duckbill as it was actually broken internally.
Thanks, I will check that.

Reach4

Reaction score
Could you move the injection pump to the house, where the pressure is lower? Ideally closely follow the injection with something that can deal with the resulting sediment.

Bfgoodmudder

Reaction score
Could you move the injection pump to the house, where the pressure is lower? Ideally closely follow the injection with something that can deal with the resulting sediment.
That’s a possibility. Are the twist a lok units any good?

Bfgoodmudder

Reaction score
More pics of the whole system plus psi right before pump kicks on. I would think the 80psi pump would inject while the psi is close to 60.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks