Chlorine adding to well water.

Users who are viewing this thread

robwithtoast

Reaction score
So after some research I decided it was best to add chlorine to my water for algae issues. I think maybe I added a little too much compared to what I read. I can smell just a little chlorine in my water when taking a shower or whatever it be. Should I worry? The smell isn't overpowering. I just don't want to damage anything.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
A little Chlorine won't hurt anything, be sure to pull the chlorinated water through every faucet, shower head, toilet, out door spigot, ice maker etc.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is this for continuous treatment? If so, you may want to add a backwashing coconut GAC filter to remove the chlorine after the chlorine has had time to do its job.

Algae needs sun. How does that happen to your well water?

robwithtoast

Reaction score
Is this for continuous treatment? If so, you may want to add a backwashing coconut GAC filter to remove the chlorine after the chlorine has had time to do its job.

Algae needs sun. How does that happen to your well water?
I'm not sure if I would say it algae but it's some kind of build up. I made a post awhile ago about it. I get green build up In things such as the nets for washer inlet, Shower head, etc. they said it was a biological growth of some sort.

robwithtoast

Reaction score
After running the water
I'm not sure if I would say it algae but it's some kind of build up. I made a post awhile ago about it. I get green build up In things such as the nets for washer inlet, Shower head, etc. they said it was a biological growth of some sort.
I ran my garden hose for awhile and I don't even smell it anymore in the house. I took a shower and everything and I don't even smell it like I did yesterday.

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you injecting chlorine whenever you bring in water, or do you do a periodic sanitizing process?

Tell us about your well. 2 inch casing with an above-ground pump, or what?

robwithtoast

Reaction score
Are you injecting chlorine whenever you bring in water, or do you do a periodic sanitizing process?
I was told to add a little bit to the holding tank. This was just to keep the growth or bacteria from growing. They said at least once a month or every few weeks.

Reach4

Reaction score
OK. Here is my writeup for bottom feeding wells where you are using liquid bleach for sanitizing. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/
I expect maybe 2 years between sanitizings, but conditions can vary.

You might find something in there that you could adapt to your sanitizing if the method that you used does not seem to have done the job. The key points are to reduce the pH to about 5 or 5.5, get the chlorine strong enough for long enough, and drain the bulk of the chlorinated water to somewhere other than the septic tank. You don't want to put it on the lawn either. Maybe you can route the water to the gutter or ditch. If your chlorination killed off the problem stuff, then good deal.

robwithtoast

Reaction score
OK. Here is my writeup for bottom feeding wells where you are using liquid bleach for sanitizing. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/
I expect maybe 2 years between sanitizings, but conditions can vary.

You might find something in there that you could adapt to your sanitizing if the method that you used does not seem to have done the job. The key points are to reduce the pH to about 5 or 5.5, get the chlorine strong enough for long enough, and drain the bulk of the chlorinated water to somewhere other than the septic tank. You don't want to put it on the lawn either. Maybe you can route the water to the gutter or ditch. If your chlorination killed off the problem stuff, then good deal.
Okay thank you. I just wanted to make sure I didn't ruin anything by adding some chlorine. I think it's okay now. I think I got rid of the remaining by running garden hose to the sewage drain.

Reach4

Reaction score
Okay thank you. I just wanted to make sure I didn't ruin anything by adding some chlorine. I think it's okay now. I think I got rid of the remaining by running garden hose to the sewage drain.

I suspect you mean the storm drain. Sewage goes into the septic tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks