Chlorination system or UV radiation

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Clstout, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Clstout

Clstout New Member

New to this forum, so if this is the incorrect forum, I apologize. I recently moved into this home, to find out that the previous owner never received a permit from the health department to operate the well. I have found signs of bacteria and petroleum in the water. Needless to say we have not been able to use the water in the house. I have been buying bottled water since we moved in. The realtor didn't disclose the issue, either. Besides legal action (which I am strongly considering) what would be a fix to this problem? I have had a contractor give an estimate for a chlorination system with a softener and a reverse osmosis system for drinking water. I also received a call from a water well assessor who recommended a UV system. Which would you all think was the best bet?

Thanks

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Neither will help petroleum. Are you sure about that? Is that from a natural source? I know that some of the first oil fields were in Ohio.

For bacteria in a deep well, often the sample is contaminated during taking the sample. Also, sanitizing the well and plumbing can usually get rid of the coliform bacteria. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my sanitizing write-up.

For the petroleum, I don't think I would drink that. I wonder if activated carbon would remove that. If it would, you could feed chlorine in first. The carbon would then remove the chlorine.

I still think you may not need UV or chlorine for bacteria. Chlorine can also help with iron and sulfur smell, and more. I am not a pro.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Clstout

Clstout New Member

Thanks for the replies, folks.

5. Clstout

Clstout New Member

The oil is in fact from a natural source. Lots of oil drilling caused this issue for many in this area. I am trying to find the best way to address the situation. Please keep the replies coming.

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

7. Clstout

Clstout New Member

Thanks. I am trying to get the proper system for my home ,since I will be putting a lot of money in it. I don't know the contractor that came to the house, and I don't want to buy something that isn't going to address the problem.