chlorinating upstream of pressure tank or downstream?

Users who are viewing this thread

GTOwagon

Reaction score
This is a very informative place and I appreciate the courtesies and experience of the posters...

Valveman
I was wondering particularly what your thoughts are.... and anyone else who has an opinion or experience on this issue...

In the softener forum there is a thread and the discussion surrounds a poster who was setting up a treatment system. I think Bannerman proposed the idea that putting your chl. Injection ahead of your pressure tank would cause sediment to clog the pressure switch. Some have said the chl destroys the bladder. On the flip side there is the theory that says the sentiment would be no worse than without the chlorine, that the bladder is chl. Resistant butyl and that putting the chlorine in ahead of the pressure tank (via use of the Stenner or other injection pump running with the well pump circuit) allows the chl to mix up better and have more contact with the incoming water.

Anyone care to add their thoughts? It seems like an unresolved debate.

Again, respect goes out to all for their knowledge and experience. This isn't meant to be argumentive or confrontational, just a discussion.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
An average size bladder tank doesn't hold a lot of water anyway so there is not much to gained. Use a contact tank which is 100% full with water. Instead of slaving the injector to the pump you could control it with a flow switch but if you run a small tank with a CSV, then that is not an issue.

Reach4

Reaction score
An average size bladder tank doesn't hold a lot of water anyway so there is not much to gained. Use a contact tank which is 100% full with water. Instead of slaving the injector to the pump you could control it with a flow switch but if you run a small tank with a CSV, then that is not an issue.
Trying to inject before the pressure tank if using a CSV and a flow switch would not work. A pump that pumps into a pressure tank and/or load without a CSV is going to pump a fairly constant GPM. With a CSV, the GPM from the pump varies considerably. So you could not use off-on injection.

You could use a flow sensor and a proportional feeder, but in that case, you could also measure and inject after the pressure tank. The point of injecting before the pressure tank is to not need a proportional injection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks