Chipped Concrete underneath Closet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

longball07

Reaction score
Remodeling a downstairs bathroom. As you can see in the pictures the Closet Flange looks to be in decent shape (doesn't look to be original to house, maybe replaced??). The issue is that the red outside ring rotates (like it is suppose too), but was never secured to the concrete sub floor. Old toilet never did rock or move to my knowledge before I ripped it out (only lived in house for two years and didn't really use the downstairs bathroom all that much). I inserted my Lufkin Ruler in the Closet Bolt holes to show that there is Zero concrete directly underneath the screw holes. I might be able to angle the pilot holes to catch the edge of the concrete but not sure it will have much concrete to grab into. The concrete literally goes to the outer edge of the Red Ring. Thought maybe I could pick up a HyrdoSeat because the angled mounting feet are out wider, also some repair rings have mounting holes that are out wider as well. Any ideas on how i should proceed to secure my Closet Flange to the Concrete Subfloor?

Attachments

• IMG_2132.JPG
    IMG_2132.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_2130.JPG
    IMG_2130.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_2129.JPG
    IMG_2129.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_2128.JPG
    IMG_2128.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_2127.JPG
    IMG_2127.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_2126.JPG
    IMG_2126.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 256

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why bother? The old toilet did not move in an objectionable manner. Neither will the new one if it's caulked well to
the finished floor.

longball07

Reaction score
I have always been told (by master plumbers) that you never want to caulk a toilet to the floor; how would you know if you ever have a leak? Do you think I would be able to get the Rockite in place? I would have to use something like what cake decorators use to put frosting on a cake to get it through the Closet Flange Bolt holes

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have always been told (by master plumbers) that you never want to caulk a toilet to the floor; how would you know if you ever have a leak? Do you think I would be able to get the Rockite in place? I would have to use something like what cake decorators use to put frosting on a cake to get it through the Closet Flange Bolt holes
You don't caulk all the way around. Leave the back open

longball07

Reaction score
Alright, that makes sense. So leave the current Closet Flange as is and when setting the new toilet caulk/silicone around the front and edges and that should hold it in place. I will give that a try. Going that route, I will probably also try and get a couple of longer concrete screws at an angle just in case

Will Rogers Plumbing

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.willrogersplumbing.com

Always caulk. Do like the others say and leave the back un caulked. Caulking keeps the toilet from ever rocking, keeps urine from getting under toilet. As for the Rockite, it mixes to like a pancake consistency so it easy to pour but you have to be quick.

I use this caulk, in clear.

https://www.reddevil.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1056

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks