Chimney liner

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee1946

Reaction score
My father plans on installing a .67-.69 EF gas water heater, xg40t12dm40u0, to replace a 30+year old leaking gas water heater. Installation would be in the basement in a ranch house.

He plans on venting through the chimney without a liner.

I am in the trades as a carpenter around 7 years, I have not seen any installed with permits without a chimney liner or PVC through the wall and said he should use a liner, aluminum in this case, or go through the wall.

Is this enough info for someone to help advise on?

I used this link, and sent it to him, his rebuttal was the furnace he has is not high efficiency and so doesn't need a liner. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....num-chimney-liner-for-gas-water-heater.81001/

Lee1946

Reaction score
the chimney flue from top, unlined, is 6"x18". I am pretty sure the existing water heater (to be replaced) is the only thing in the flue, I will check tomorrow. There is a hydronics heating system located nearby, if it is vented it probably goes through the chimney. The remaining home heating is a geothermal one, so I don't think it vents.

Lee1946

Reaction score
Just the water heater it needs a flue liner. Geo unit with a super heater would also give you hot water.
Sorry for the delay, I appreciate your response. I have two correction to information I provided. The chimney is 12x6 not 18x6, and the hydronics boiler, Weil-McLain boiler pcg-3
Not energy star rated
Vent pipe single wall metal 4", does vent in chimney,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks