Children's Center: Solution for flushing wipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Sammy - NYP

Reaction score
Plumbing Novice here!

I run a large networks of daycares in a large city. Even if we do not provide wipes in the bathrooms and changing tables, nannies and moms still throw wipes and whole diapers down the drain. Pipes at many of the locations are constantly ruined, overflowing, or causing major leaks in the sewage because of this. We've tried everything we could do from signs to removing wipes from the bathroom to prevent it from happening, but people still throw wipes down the drain.

While whole diapers are hard for pipes to manage, is there a long term solution for this issue other than constant snaking of the pipes? At least wipes?

Any solution is appreciated!

Reach4

Reaction score
Separate the changing tables, and anything that could serve as a changing table, from the toilets?

Put a barrel with a barrel liner and a sign next to the changing tables? The barrel makes it unlikely it would fill up. Actually, a big touchless trash can might do it. Maybe they don't want to touch a lid or bother using a toe to press a foot lever.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think the best you can do is provide easy access to disposal.
The wipes are causing havoc with sewer systems farther downline too. They are not really flushable at all. They manually have to separate them by hand from the machinery that disposes of the waste. It's a huge problem now.
I heard of one landlord that is now using a camera on lines, and if they find wipes, they're back charging the tenants.

Sammy - NYP

Reaction score
I think the best you can do is provide easy access to disposal.
The wipes are causing havoc with sewer systems farther downline too. They are not really flushable at all. They manually have to separate them by hand from the machinery that disposes of the waste. It's a huge problem now.
I heard of one landlord that is now using a camera on lines, and if they find wipes, they're back charging the tenants.

We have a diaper genie is every bathroom and industrial trash cans, I'm not sure what's forcing everyone to throw it down the toilet. We have neon signs before you get into the bathroom, and signs in the bathroom. I was just wondering if there's anything we can do to reinforce the pipes. I have someone come in to do weekly snaking at one of the locations.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks