Checking Water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Ally68

Reaction score
I am installing an expansion tank with my new water heater.
To get a static reading of my water pressure I got a watts pressure gauge.
My question is can I just screw it on to the hose connector on bottom of water heater or do I have to use and outside hose connector (cold outside).
and do I set the pressure on tank to exactly the same as gauge or a little more or less?

Thanks for your help

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, when the expansion tank is installed and the water is turned on, unless the air pressure you precharge the tank is higher than the supplied water pressure, the air pressure in the tank will ALWAYS be the same as the water pressure applied. Set the ET's precharge pressure to about the same as your static water pressure...as long as you're close, it will relieve the stress on the bladder and you'll get the advertised volume out of it. In that way, the water pressure and the air pressure will offset each other, and the bladder will be sitting at its 'nominal' position. Think about two people pushing against each other...if both sides are equal, neither moves, no matter what the actual pressure is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks