Checking current in 220 appliance

Users who are viewing this thread

Jay Wells

Reaction score
I have a circuit splitter for 110 circuits which is like two open center squares end to end with plugin prongs on one end. This is to use with a clamp on meter. I want to know if there is a similar thing to check current in 220 appliances without having to access internal wiring.

Stuff

Reaction score
Never seen one for residential use. Most likely because there are many different 240 volt plugs and a lot is hard wired with no plug. Also would have to handle 120/240 split phase which you would need to measure two legs and the neutral for a true picture of what is going on. Since most 240 stuff is on a dedicated circuit it is much easier to open the panel and use the clamp-on there.

In industrial there are special taps in some motor feeds where you can insert an ammeter in-line. It opens the wire an routes the current through the ammeter's leads.

Reach4

Reaction score
You would need to be more specific if you were to try to buy one. Is this the connector you are thinking of?
wa18-socketfit.jpg
I would make my own. If you bought a unit they might use in Europe, it would have different connectors.

The 120 VAC unit you have would work internally for 240 volts (it is just loops of wire), but you want something with the same connectors you are looking for.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I have a circuit splitter for 110 circuits which is like two open center squares end to end with plugin prongs on one end. This is to use with a clamp on meter. I want to know if there is a similar thing to check current in 220 appliances without having to access internal wiring.

A extension cord works good.

Just cut off enough outer insulation to get to the single conductors, so you can measure current on any conductor.

Be careful playing with electricity. Enjoy every shocking experience.

Jay Wells

Reaction score
A extension cord works good.

Just cut off enough outer insulation to get to the single conductors, so you can measure current on any conductor.

Be careful playing with electricity. Enjoy every shocking experience.

That's a great idea DonL. So simple even I should have been able to think of it but it never occurred to me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks