check valves for water storage tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Mendo

Reaction score
First post woot woot haha. Kinda a newbie in plumbing, but i have a question regarding setting up a water storage tank. I have a 3/4 hp jet pump that pumps from a dug well thats 19 feet deep. pumping to the new water tank, which is ~65 feet away, adds another 1' of overall rise from where the current intake height of the pump. I will have a second jet pump (3/4 hp) to pump from the water tank to the pressure tank and house. Pretty much have figured things out with the help of a local plumber and the 'net, and just received my three float switches to use with the water system and how to wire those up, but, i now, i am wondering if i need any other check valves in the system. there is a foot valve on the intake pipe in the well (under the water level). i am thinking i dont really need one anywhere else right? or maybe i need one between the tank and pressure jet pump? TIA!

Mendo

Reaction score
No maybe. Without it the pressure tank would rush back to the storage tank when it shuts off.

The pressure jet pump is between the water tank and pressure tank, so the pressure tank wont rush back to the storage tank. i was thinking of having check valve possibly between the water tank and storage tank if needed.
I am kinda thinking the pressure of the water in the tank will help prevent any backflow to the tank without using a check valve.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Anywhere in between the storage tank and the pump intake would be fine as long as priming is not an issue. If priming is an issue, then closer to the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks