Cheap pump update

Users who are viewing this thread

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
we are now in Jan of 2023, happy new year to everyone.
About this cheap pump update:
It would appear to me that my $150 ebay pump has made it to way beyond the end of the factory warranty a Grundfos 10SQ07-200 would come with.
I still have great flow and no issues. The grunfos was so expensive that the time I chose a $150 ebay pump. I forgot nov/dec but happy birthday, crap pump that keeps on working!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks for the update. Because of the price I recommend those pumps often. However, there is no way a company could make a profit selling pumps like that for 150 bucks. Most likely the Chinese government is subsidizing their manufacturers in some way. When the Chinese cheap pumps put a few more domestic companies out of business, they can start charging much more for those cheap pumps. The pump is not the problem. The politics of being able to get it for 150 bucks is the problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
Why use a new thread to update?

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Because of the price I recommend those pumps often. However, there is no way a company could make a profit selling pumps like that for 150 bucks. Most likely the Chinese government is subsidizing their manufacturers in some way. When the Chinese cheap pumps put a few more domestic companies out of business, they can start charging much more for those cheap pumps. The pump is not the problem. The politics of being able to get it for 150 bucks is the problem.
I couldn't agree more. Perhaps if the US government imposed an 8% tariff on the import of that cheap pump, and used that revenue to lessen the tax burden on domestic pump manufacturers, it would make for a more level playing field and could make the pumps comparable in price so that the US made pump wasn't many times more in price. But hey, what do I know? (except that other countries impose upon the USA an 8% tax on imports).

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am afraid an 8% tariff will not be enough. Because of all the regulations, taxes, insurance, and labor charges it cost about 600% more to manufacture in the US than in China. Manufacturers that are left in the US can't ship to any country even Canada without paying even more customs fees on top of that. It is a miracle any US manufacturing still exist. US manufacturers survive in spite of government "help". Everything has been manufactured in China for so long the young people in the US do not even know how to use a screwdriver. :(

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
I am afraid an 8% tariff will not be enough. Because of all the regulations, taxes, insurance, and labor charges it cost about 600% more to manufacture in the US than in China. Manufacturers that are left in the US can't ship to any country even Canada without paying even more customs fees on top of that. It is a miracle any US manufacturing still exist. US manufacturers survive in spite of government "help". Everything has been manufactured in China for so long the young people in the US do not even know how to use a screwdriver. :(
don't even get me started about the "youngsters". I meet so many where had they been a passenger on an escalator, and the power failed, they would be stranded. They would not realize that the escalator had just become stairs. That's how mechanically declined they are.

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
We are about to enter August 2023 and the cheap ass pump I bought on ebay has not failed yet! Infact, funny story... I know these details thanks to my security cameras.

last friday at 8:20 am I left with my buddies to go on a fishing trip.
at 9:14 the thing that holds the hose nozzle to the hose just cracked off. Cheap happy meal plastic I guess.
Maybe I didnt turn the stop off at the house after using the hose last.
The hose from that point did what hoses do best, they steal wedding rings and wallets. Wait, wrong story, wrong hose.
The hose did what hoses do best, it flowed water.
I did not return until 2pm Sunday. The hose ran and flowed water the whole time.
What I learned:
1. Don't buy hose nozzles from Dollar store.
2. Cheap pump was a champ attempting to pump my aquifer dry. Guess it was like trying to pump the Atlantic Ocean to elsewhere. BTW its clearly not MY aquifer, just where my well stabs into it.
3. When my well is pumped for that long, what comes out of the hose is COLD. VERY COLD. Shoulda measured it. Prob 32.1 degrees if I had to guess.
4. I am concerned about the next bill to come from the electric utility.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks