Chasing a flickering gremlin

Users who are viewing this thread

k-n

Reaction score
My house was rewired by a licensed electrician roughly a year ago. We have everything new from the utility pole into the house an all wires/outlets. We have noticed a random "flicker" that happens throughout the day in the house. It is not tied to major appliances such as the air conditioner or air handler cutting in or out. Essentially the lights dim slightly and flutter brighter/dimmer and a rapid pade. It lasts for about 5-7 seconds or so.

The electrician has checked all the neutrals, grounds, breakers, etc. at the house and at the pole. He's been back twice. He even checked everything with a temperature gun to look for overheated wires/breakers/outlets. The utility company has checked their meter box, the pole, the wires back to the main pole, and the transformer at the street. Both parties say everything checks out.

I notice the flicker on some breakers more than others. The two most noticeable areas of the house are multi-bulb fixtures where the light is much brighter and, obviously current draw is higher. It is not the bulbs or the light fixtures. Two of the fixtures came from the old house and have the same bulbs. They never once flickered in the old place. Further, they both do it at the exact same time and in total sync. I also notice it my master bath vanities as those are multi-bulb and bright. They are also in perfect sync.

I notice it a hanful of times per day but I'm not always watching. Realistically it probably happens more often than that

Is there a reasonably-priced tool out there that I can plug into the outlets that will at least log some basic data when plugged into an outlet? And by reasonable, I mean like $250 or less. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

TIA.

Reach4

Reaction score
Power data loggers are expensive.

A multimeter with MIN MAX AVG may be in your budget. I am thinking you can measure 240 and 120 volt on each leg at times. If the 240 stays fairly normal, but the 120 circuits go wild, think intermittent neutral.

This application note explains the function a bit: https://dam-assets.fluke.com.cn/s3fs-public/2674014_6116_ENG_C_W.PDF
The models cited there are expensive, but there are cheaper units that have that function. That ap note is from 2007.

I have no experience with them, but I might look into the FLIR DM62 or DM66.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Was there a new ground rod installed or was the old one reused?

Since you stated it seems to be particular circuits, have you tried having on all the lights turned on at the same time and when the flicker occurs, is it all of them? Are all bulbs the same kind? LED bulbs may not show the problem since the power supply built into them regulate the output with a wide range of input voltage.

Are there any arc fault interrupters (AFCI) installed in the new panel? If any it be the bedrooms circuits. These will trip very easy from a bad connections. In my case I was adding an outlet in my bedroom closet and, at my son's house, replacing three outdoor light fixtures power from a bedroom circuit. Each time I only powered off at the wall switch, but when I touch the neutral (wht) to the ground (grn) it tripped the Arc Fault breaker. If you are concerned about a circuit or two, install an arc fault breaker if the breaker is a standard breaker.

Recently a APC UPS, https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-ES-8-Outlet-550VA-120V/P-BE550G help me with an over voltage problem when a Kohler generator on transferring power after losing power from the pole. This model, their most popular, monitors the line voltage. You can set parameters (low and high voltage) via the USB port from your computer to the UPS unit with APC software. You plug this into an outlet that is on the same circuit breaker as where you seem to notice the flicker more frequently. It won't prove if it is a bad ground or not but might be able to narrow it down to certain circuits. After running tests you can use it on your electronics devices, especially TV's or computers, since this unit has built in surge protection and battery backup there be no money wasted. I have two of them behind my TV's, cable modems and WiFi routers.

k-n

Reaction score
New ground rods as well. Whole system is new from end to end. There are 4 Arc Faults in there. The LEDs, ironically, are the worst. On the other fixutres that aren't multi-bulb, the flicker is much less. I'm going to experiment some more by moving one of the twin light fixtures that is most noticeable to another outlet on another circuit and see if they still flicker. If I can isolate it to not happening in the entire house simultaneously, I'll know it's in the house/house box somwhere...

I'll look at the meters mentioned. I use a multi-meter fairly often so having a good one won't hurt me...

Stuff

Reaction score
Do you have your own street transformer or do you share? If sharing, ask neighbors if they are experiencing flicker as well or they are causing it.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Check everything with a motor that runs automatically as needed. While you may not think the issue is related to a fridge or A/C, there could be a problem with a motor which is preventing it from starting on the first attempt.

I have seen meter bases that have caused fluctuating issues and some have eventually caught fire mostly due to poor or loose connections.

k-n

Reaction score
I'm going to check with my neighbor on the west side as I believe we share a transformer but I'll have to get out there and verify as we are all on 5-10 acres and the space between is large in some sections and most are bringing power down from a transformer.

I separated the two lamps I have that are identical and left one on the living room wall and moved the other to the dining area, then to the kitchen. In both cases they still flickered in perfect sync so I assume it is a whole house issue.

As far as the appliances go, the flicker can happen while the A/C is already running or not. I can't see/hear any correspondence there. The refrigerator is a possibility and I can put a monitor on that with a log and see if the motor starting may be it but the fridge is only about a year old. My crawl space dehumidifier was added after the flicker began so that can't be it. Last major appliance would be the hot water heater (electric).

Fitter30

Reaction score
Lights on a dimmer? Led or cfl bulbs? Older dimmers don't vary voltage they turn power on and off quicky to vary light output and don't work correcty with led or cfl.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks