changing out all the cheap plastic stop valves with 1/4 turn stops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jm66208

Reaction score
Problem is, they're all compression fitting and not enough pipe left to cut the old compression ring off and get the new ones on. Can I just use the old compression ring & nut with the new valve? Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
MAYBE, it depends on which thread pitch they have. But a "sleeve puller" will remove them without cutting any tubing off.

sleeve_puller_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If the original stops are cheap plastic, what then is the quality of the original ring and nut? Most sleeve pullers use the original nut to engage the compression ring but doing so could put squeeze pressure against the pipe. A ring splitter may be needed in the most difficult cases.
http://www.saf-t-kut.com/products/compression-ring-remover/

When I changed out the last two stops, I couldn't get the rings to budge and didn't have that tool. I ended up using my Dremel tool to split the ring. In doing so, I nicked the pipe and had to shorten it 1/4" so that the new ring had a smooth surface to seal against.

Jm66208

Reaction score
Ahh, forgot about those ring removal tools. Question..I haven't removed any of the old ones yet, but sometimes I see that the old one was tightened so much that there is obvious distortion in the tube. Will the ring still pull off, and is the tube still usable? Problem is, someone took the time to cut the tube short enought that the stops butt right up to the escutcheon. Looks nice, but they used cheap plastic gate valves?!?!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Ja, I've seen cases where the pipe got distorted and doubt a puller would work then. If the nut is tight to the escutcheon, then the ring splitter wouldn't work either unless you cut the nut off with a Dremel tool.

Another thing I've encountered is the amount of pipe stub protruding after the ring can vary. On the last pair of stops I changed out, the old ones had a deeper recess for a longer pipe stub so if I were to reuse the nut/ring, I would have had to shorten the stub. There was no way a tubing cutter would fit so was faced with having to use the Dremel tool. In the end it was easier to split the ring.

On some cabinets, the back is made of thin material and spaced away from the wall so you may have some flex room to push back the escutcheons. In fact, that was what I had to do to gain the room to cut off the ring.

It will only take you a minute or two to find out whether reusing the nut and ring is an option.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Looks nice, but they used cheap plastic gate valves?!?!

Then it's doubfull that the copper was compressed if the stops are plastic. Often, you can just snap the metal ring with pliers.
And no, you can't reuse the back nut if it's plastic.

Jm66208

Reaction score
Should have clarified. Valves are chrome. Handles are clear plastic and valve stems are plastic (probably nylon to be more precise).

Edit: OK, not rocket science here. Headed to supplier to pick up a Saf-t-kut cutter & a Pasco puller. Should cover me...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks