changing old shower handle trim

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by aobellis, Mar 6, 2009.

  1. aobellis

    aobellis New Member

    Mar 6, 2009
    I am updating a bathroom from the 70s. I have changed the showerhead to a hand-helf variety, but also want to change the trim on the handle. I bought something that looked like it would work, but it does not. The original trim was a 7" diameter Moen with a knob with "crystal" center. The screwholes are 1 1/8" apart. (The Danko that I bought has wider screwholes.)

    I'm switching everything to oil rubbed bronze (anything close would be fine), so that complicates it a bit. I hope I do not need to change the valve itself.

    I'm planning to buy a Tasagi Japanese style tub that is designed to fit into the kind of shower stall I have, so it would be even better if I could figure out a way to lower the handle so I could reach it while seated in from the tub, but I'll settle for keeping it where it is and just getting it to match.

    Thanks for your help.

  2. jimbo

    jimbo Plumber

    Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    There is NO "generic" shower valve trim. ( But there are aftermarket, brand specific items available.). You MUST get trim made for your EXACT brand AND model.

    Now, Moen is one of the most widely found brands. You must specify if yours is a pull-out type or just a turn-type. Moen themselves, and many aftermarket companies make trim for your valve, including in the bronze. Take your parts to a good plumbing supply and they will have what you need,
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. aobellis

    aobellis New Member

    Mar 6, 2009
    shower valve trim

    Thanks. I'll go to a plumbing supply store and see what I can find. I had hoped to be able to buy something online, but that does not seem to be possible.
  5. jadnashua

    jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

    Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    It should be possible if you know the exact model.
  6. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    A 70's valve is either Dial-Cet or MoenTrol, both used the same trim but I am not sure if the new MoenTrol which is available from Moen in the finish desired has the horizontal or diagonal holes.
Similar Threads: changing shower
Forum Title Date
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Changing Single Handed Shower (Poly/Pex issue) Oct 7, 2016
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Advice on changing two handle shower valve Feb 5, 2016
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Three Handle Diverter - Changing Shower/Tub Diverter Turn Direction Dec 26, 2015
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Stacked Townhouse - changing tub drain for shower Sep 8, 2014
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Changing Moen Shower control??? Dec 9, 2013

Share This Page