Changing Moen Bath faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

waxgroove

Reaction score
Hi

Recently changed a moen bath faucet cartridge (1222). Cleaned everything out, used proper amount of grease, slid new cartridge in.

Problem is after about a week, I'm still getting a few drips here and there. Is this normal?

This shower is not used as a primary shower. So I figure it should be dry all the time - no?

Thanks

waxgroove

Reaction score
Does it make a difference if

All the Moen cartridges at Lowes must have been a bad order as all only had one o-ring (I Moen cartridge I pulled out has two).

I used a Danko cartridge. Does it make a difference? I could run to Home Depot and look for a Moen if it does.

Like I said, it is a very slow leek. I'm having a noise problem (see general link) and it is possible my pressure may be elevated. Wonder if that would cause such a thing.

Thanks again,

Mike

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

Moen, and all faucets, will not leak at any pressure you could have inside the house, (the water heater relief valve would discharge before you could reach improper levels), so that is not a factor. Any non-Moen part could be suspect.

waxgroove

Reaction score
OK - stupid question?

Went to Home Depot - no Moen cartridges. Lowes has a few (1222) but all of them have only one o-ring towards the end of the cartridge.

It's obvious I'm no plumbing expert (that's why I'm here) but it seems to me by the looks of the cartridge it should have two. Some pictures on the internet show one, some show two.

The packaging actually shows one - the repair kit shows/includes two. What gives?

Thanks HJ

Mike

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Call 1-800-BUYMOEN and have them send you an official one.

I don't bother with generic brands either. You are better off staying with the branded stuff for repairs.

progress.gif

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks