Changing main shutoff

Users who are viewing this thread

jtrabadela

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the main water shut off in my home with a full port ball valve since the valve I have now is leaking a little bit from the packing and the wheel to shut it off broke off. I still have the shut off at the meter but it requires a wrench and in case of an emergency I would like my wife or daughter to be able to shut it off easily. My problem is the copper coming out of the slab is curved like an "s" and I'm having a tough time find a place I can cut where it is straight. I feel like I may have to cut and bend the pipe and re round...unless there are any other ideas out there. I can sweat pipes or I could use compression, please let me know what you feel would be best. I attached a couple pictures, let me know what your pipe layout would look like. Any opinions would be great.
IMG_2383.JPG
IMG_2384.JPG

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't know how the pros would do this, but what comes to my mind is to start over when the line come in and make straight lines. I'd use a ball valve.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bending the main coming out the slab is risky, you got to work with what you have.

I would reconstruct the whole thing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks