Changing an old tub/shower for a new shower

Users who are viewing this thread

OllieBlair

Reaction score
Hello - thanks for allowing me to join.

I have a question - our house was built in 1988 (in Iowa) and the opening for the tub/shower is 58 1/2 inches (this is wall to wall). We want to change to a new shower (we are older and need to have room for a shower chair) - the new showers are either 48 or 60 inches - how/where can we find someplace that has odd size showers? We are at a loss as to where to go - any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have 60" between the stud walls, the tub you have now is 60" long.
Then you have backer board and tile over that, which adds about 3/4" to each side, leaving you at 58-1/2"

mustee-3060-showertub.jpg

Mustee has their own drain for this.

mustee-42-317a-compare.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Except for maybe in a mobile trailer, you won't find a replacement tub that isn't 60". Well, there are some out there, but they're all built in 6" increments. When I remodeled, I changed my tub/shower from a 60" one to a 72" one. Would have loved to go to a 78" one, which are available, but just didn't want to move another wall! I like to soak on occasion...it helps my back.

Tubs are usually one of the first plumbing things installed after the framing, partly because they're big, and if cast iron, heavy, so they get installed before there are lots of things in the way and access is easier. Then, walls are built around them so to get one out, you have to tear the walls out, at least their coverings, but probably not the studs themselves.

If you want to go with a tiled shower, there are tileable bases with offset drains to accommodate a tub replacement.

One thing you may need to consider is the drain size. Today's code calls for a 2" drain line for a shower, but most tubs are 1.5". An inspector MIGHT allow you to plumb it into 1.5", but he may not, either...so, keep that in mind.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks