Changing a water CI Radiator on two-pipe system to a hydronic toe kickspace heater questions

Users who are viewing this thread

ARC

Reaction score
Hi and thanks. I removed my column water heated CI radiator for my bathroom remodel and want to switch to a Myson Whispa 3 kickspace heater under the vanity to save room. My 1916 house has old steel piping on a two-pipe system which I believe is a direct return. I do not know if the tees (from the old steel 2" OD pipe) that reduce to the 3/4" branch are some kind of mono-flow scoop tees given their age. I believe the kickspace I will get is sized right.

So, I want to confirm I don't need to do anything special once I reduce the 3/4" pipe to the 1/2" that the kickspace heater needs. My understanding is since I have a two-pipe system I do not need to worry about the 1/2" reduction as each radiator branch is separate and this won't reduce flow rate/capacity overall in the system. Is this correct??? I see a lot about venturi & scoop tees but I believe they are for one-pipe or series loop systems. Currently, my CI radiator is not installed. I added dielectric unions to go to copper and put in ball valves that are closed at the moment. My system has been heating the house just fine as is.

The second question is do I need to add Balancing Valves for this kickspace heater??? If so what kind and is this one right? Do you add one on just the return pipe and use the ball valve on the supply as that diagram shows in the link? The Myson spec sheet on the second to the last page says Balancing Valves are required so I assume I need at least one. Can't I just adjust the flow (if needed from being too hot) by using the ball valves kind of like I can do with the valves in the CI radiators? Or do the Balancing Valves have more to do with the pipe reduction and keep the kickspace working properly? I don't really know how balancing valves work, especially in my two-pipe system and at $90 each I wanna be sure one or two are needed.

Thanks a bunch as always and I hope I am not getting in over my head.

ARC

Reaction score
@fitter30. Thanks that looks like what I'd need.

My concern is there won't be enough flow given water takes the path of least resistance and won't travel much through the 1/2". Like these balance valves won't be able to increase the flow even at full open to more than wants to go through the 1/2" size. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks