Changing 2-wire to 5-wire on my furnace

Users who are viewing this thread

mrjohneel

Reaction score
I have a two-wire line running from my 1-stage furnace with no cooling to my thermostat. I am upgrading my thermostat and it needs a C wire. Now, I know there are various ways of hooking up adapters, etc., to compensate for the missing C wire. I could even get another type of thermostat. But because it is a short run from my first floor thermostat to my furnace, I want to replace the old wiring with new wiring. So I am going to get an 18/5 wire. My furnace wiring diagram (Gas-Fired Direct Vent Condensing) shows R to R, G to G, W to W and B/C to B/C. That's four wires. What do I do with the other one -- the yellow one? Do I hook it up Y to Y even though I don't have a compressor/air conditioning system? Is there anything I'm forgetting? Thanks in advance.

SShaw

Reaction score
If you have no cooling, you can just leave Y disconnected on both ends.

If you are running new wire, you could get some 18/6 or 18/8 in case you decide later to add A/C, a humidifier, an outdoor air temp sensor, etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks