Changed from copper to polyethylene fridge supply: lower water pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

GizzyGone

Reaction score
Our fridge doesn’t have the nice water supply box behind it... rather: there was a shutoff in the basement with a 1/4” copper supply line running up to the fridge.

I replaced that line with 1/4” PE tubing, so I can add an RO system soon.

I will admit, the PE tubing has a longer run... I have it coiled up in the basement so I have enough to run to the RO (wherever I decide to place it).

Either way: the water pressure is significantly less than before. I’m guessing the run is part of that, which is why I ran 3/8” PE at the same time (just in case).

I’m curious:

1: is the length of the PE tubing likely the reason for my decreased pressure? Or is PE just thinner ID?

2: Would 3/8” tubing help?

3: What’s the best way to connect the 3/8 to the fridge if it helps? (A 3/8 to 1/4 John guest reducer fitting close to the fridge inlet?? I can’t find any 3/8 compression to 1/4 female adaptors.... nor do I know what kind of thread the fridge has?)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks