Change Toto flush valve for more water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Marc remodel

Reaction score
Hi. I believe the flush valve in my Toto is a THU001Z (or maybe a THU002Z). It has those two metal anchors at the bottom (as opposed to threads). It's very short, and the combination of that plus a flapper that closes almost immediately provides an inadequate flush. I'd like to beef it up, so I'll replace the flapper with the one that floats down gradually, but I'd also like to get more water in the tank. Can I replace the THU001/2Z flush valve with the THU013Z, which looks the same at the bottom but also looks significantly taller? If for whatever reason the 13Z won't work, is there another flush valve that's taller and will work? Thanks much.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Is this a one-piece or a two-piece? Is it one with the 3" flush valve? (Give us the model number in the tank if you can't figure it out.)

If it's a two-piece Toto with a 3" flush valve, just get the Korky 5030BP Large Adjustable 3" Flush Valve kit. The height of the overflow riser (which is what I assume you are talking about) is twist-to-lock adjustable, and it comes with a Korky flapper on which the flush timing is adjustable. http://korky.com/FlushValveKit5030BP.html Korky sent me one to play with a while back when it first came out, and it's a good product.

Korky makes parts used in the Toto factory, including fill valves, flush valves, flappers, etc. So this will fit a Toto 3" two-piece and be the right quality.

It won't, however, work on a one-piece.

That said, I'm curious about your whole post. If you have the THU001z, then you have an old-model power-gravity lowboy toilet. Those by necessity have a lower and wider water column than some others. They also already use a flapper (the blue one) that drains a lot from the tank. I'm not sure that your premise that you "need more water" is correct. You're asking us to help you devise a "more water" solution, without telling us what is the underlying problem that you're trying to rectify with "more water".

Maybe we can help you if you give us a little more color and a little more about the problem you're trying to solve.

Marc remodel

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. We have a house in Cabo, and we just added a powder room. The contractor here installed a Toto one-piece toilet (it sits pretty low). I'm not sure what model it is. The only identifying information I can find is a "#01" stamped inside the tank and two numbers stamped inside the tank top: 2061220 110 and 2061219 113. When I remove the flapper, the diameter of the opening is a bit over 3". And oddly, the existing flapper is white and almost flat, not like the blue or red ones in my other Toto toilets. The underlying problem is that very little water comes out on each flush, so it does a poor job of eliminating the waste. Thanks for your input.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Make sure that there isn't a lot of slack in the chain that pulls the flapper valve up...if it doesn't get pulled up essentially as high as it can go, it will not release the proper amount of water...it may not be the flapper at all, but the installation.

Marc remodel

Reaction score
Nope, there isn't any excess slack. It gets pulled up, but then it drops down quickly, and there isn't much water in there to start with.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Nope, there isn't any excess slack. It gets pulled up, but then it drops down quickly, and there isn't much water in there to start with.

If it takes a 3 inch flapper get yourself one of the blue korky 'fits toto" flappers, just look online, and bring it with u to cabo. If the water level seems too low in the tank, raise it to about 1/4 inch below the top of the overflow riser (normally 1/2 inch). Try that, keeping in mind jims advice about the chain, make sure you have at least a little slack, and see how that works...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks