Champion Accelerator Flush Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

RBrown

Reaction score
My sister's Champion toilet is having a flushing problem. American Standard sent her parts including a replacement for the "flush tower". It's call the Accelerator Flush Valve, and I hope it cures her problem. The new valve is similar to a flapper, except that it pulls straight up instead of being hinged. They also sent her a new tank gasket and a special plastic wrench.

The AS website now touts the Accelerator Flush Valve, and the old flush tower is gone.

champion-4-flush-valve-1.jpg

champion-4-flush-valve-seal-instructions.jpg

Changing the seal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Yes........and the trip lever doesn't work quite right unless the tank lid is pulled a little forward to where it lodges in a normal position.

I switched one out about a week ago

champion-flush-kit-1.jpg

champion-flush-kit-2.jpg

It's very hard to flush.....takes some strength to push that trip lever down. The second picture denotes that trip lever hanging almost
vertical when the tank lid is off.

Now there's almost 4" of unused water in the bottom of that tank as well. :confused:

TonyKarns

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
tonysprofessionalremodeling.com
Bad design

To be honest with you thats about the worst design ive come across in a toilet! I just modified one about 3 months ago. I would at the least replace the bent up trip lever with a new one, attatch a second one with a degreed bend on it by using #10 ss small bolts so it extends over the release.
This will at least make it easier to flush.

Last edited:

RBrown

Reaction score
When you finished changing it out, did it flush ok? Does the trip lever point up all the time? I hope it doesn't, sis won't be too happy.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
RBrown said:
When you finished changing it out, did it flush ok? Does the trip lever point up all the time? I hope it doesn't, sis won't be too happy.

Yes........flushes okay but it's very hard to push that trip lever down to flush.

The trip lever sits in a "normal" position when the tank lid is on...not off.

I told the customer that if they have to have a plumber work on that toilet again......replace it completely and get away from that flawed design.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
tonykarns said:
To be honest with you thats about the worst design ive come across in a toilet! I just modified one about 3 months ago. I would at the least replace the bent up trip lever with a new one, attatch a second one with a degreed bend on it by using #10 ss small bolts so it extends over the release.
This will at least make it easier to flush.

It seemed to me that it was the actual flush valve that was making it hard to flush....not the setup of the trip lever.

I checked this by manually pulling the flush valve assembly up by hand.

Lots of water/head holding that assembly down flat. I personally do not like the design at all.

champion-inside-tank-2.jpg

picture added 10/8/2018

RBrown

Reaction score
Accelerator Flush Valve Installed

Rugged,

Sis got her toilet fixed today. Her plumber installed the AS Accelerator flush valve and it works fine. It's not too hard to push the trip lever, just a bit firmer than the AS Flush Tower. With the tank lid off, the trip lever is in its normal horizontal position, and the installation is neat as a pin. Her installation looks much neater than the pics you posted showing the arm all bent. She is a very happy girl. :)

Micp879

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the results. I will be replacing the flush tower on my parents Champion toilet with the new accelerator valve in the near future, and I was getting a bit concerned, based on the posts in this thread. I was going to comment that in the above picture, the trip lever and trip lever arm look nothing like the trip lever in my parents Champion. The lever in theirs is longer and appears like it should be a much better match. It makes me wonder if a different trip lever would maybe benefit the toilet in the picture.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
As I mentioned, that trip lever doesn't sit like that between flushes; it sits in a normal position due to the fact that the tank lid is holding it where a normal setting would be.

There's a new trip lever ordered coming from A/S along with the fill valve they seemingly forgot to ship :mad: but I'm pretty sure that the homeowner won't put either on.......he'll most likely keep the items until either one fails. He won't be calling me back either to make a repair that's not malfunctioning either.

steve_m_d

Reaction score
Accelerator flush problems

I had a problem getting the tower flush valve to flush. I had to hold the lever in just the right position to get it to flush before the valve dropped back down. So, I just replaced the tower with the newer designed Accelerator, and it is worse! I have to hold the lever down until it flushes, or else it won't flush. Is there some kind of adjustment? What is the mechanism which should hold the "flapper" up until there is a flush?

I am thinking of cutting my losses and getting a whole new toilet.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score

Steve I would consider that to be a very wise choice... They are now having problems with blisters forming on the replacement flappers as well. You can read about it in the Champion thread 250 plus posts from happy owners... Yea that'll be the day!

May I suggest a Toto?

steve_m_d

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation. I looked at Eljer and Kohler at Lowes and Home Depot, but they don't seem to be getting very good user reviews.

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
after.jpg
I had a problem getting the tower flush valve to flush. I had to hold the lever in just the right position to get it to flush before the valve dropped back down. So, I just replaced the tower with the newer designed Accelerator, and it is worse! I have to hold the lever down until it flushes, or else it won't flush. Is there some kind of adjustment? What is the mechanism which should hold the "flapper" up until there is a flush?

Steve. I also put in the new Champion flush valve and have not had any problems. It's not hard to flush and it actually flushes great. Note that the flush arm is pretty much straight over the flush valve and that there is just a little bit of slack in the chain. Also, I set the water height to about a half inch below the top of the refill tube. Good luck. -dog.

steve_m_d

Reaction score
Thanks, Maddog.

Maybe the flush valve wasn't my real problem. I went ahead and replaced the toilet with the Toto Drake. The new toilet flushes, but doesn't seem to have any power. Anyone know if there is some sort of adjustment I can try? The tank seems to be filling fine.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Steve while the flush seems very different trust me the power is there. It will take anything you give it!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Steve, you have one of the finest toilets made, and it is working fine so don't try to adjust anything. You are just used to an old full flow monster that dumped 4 or 5 gallons of water so it's hard to believe that 1.6 gallons can be effective, but it is.

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks, Maddog.

Maybe the flush valve wasn't my real problem. I went ahead and replaced the toilet with the Toto Drake. The new toilet flushes, but doesn't seem to have any power. Anyone know if there is some sort of adjustment I can try? The tank seems to be filling fine.

Not sure you can compare the flush to that of the Champion. The Champion has a very 'violent' flush - probably to get all those golf balls down! Don't think you can go wrong with the Drake, though. I'll probably be looking at the Eco-Drake if this new flush valve doesn't work out. There was a post from one user that the new flush valve seal began leaking after about 4 months.

I'm a little concerned about what the tile floor might look like with a different bowl foot-print. The tile guy put grout around the base. It looks real nice, but could be difficult to get completely off. Good luck with the Drake! -dog

tntrvlngrl

Reaction score
Flush valve

I've had this flush valve for about 4 or 5 years and I love it; it works perfectly!

It seemed to me that it was the actual flush valve that was making it hard to flush....not the setup of the trip lever.

I checked this by manually pulling the flush valve assembly up by hand.

Lots of water/head holding that assembly down flat. I personally do not like the design at all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks