Champion 4 Poor Flush - Revisited

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'd think that out of the factory...the company would be able to make these things work right...one reason why I like Totos...they work without having to fix them right out of the box. Doesn't say much for AS. Often, it's the little things that count. Most companies aren't on top of it.

-TH-

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently installed this toilet in my parents cottage after having much success and zero plugs with the two I put in our house. Unfortunately this third one requires the handle to be held down in order to get a complete flush. When i watch the different toilets operate, the flapper valves on the two good ones stay open, as if the flapper floats in the water until the water level in the tank drops. On the bad one, the flapper slams shut the instant you let go of the handle, letting very little water through, usually not enough to perform a flush. Since many people use the cottage, it is not ideal to have to tell everyone to hold the handle down.

I have removed the blue filler restrictor as mentioned here earlier, which has helped fill the bowl better, but doesn't do anything to keep the flapper open longer. I have tried many different water levels in the tank, from an inch below the tank filler tube height, to right up to the top of it, and everywhere in between. I have tried adjusting the slack in the lever chain from tight to loose.

I suppose a call to A.S. is next, but I thought I would post here first to see if anyone else has fixed this. I'm also thinking about adding a piece of foam to the flapper to keep it up longer. Thoughts?

Thanks!

TH

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
TH

Go back and try again to adjust the chain on the flapper. Very often one link in either direction will do it. Too tight and the flapper won't rise high enough to hold itself open after you push the flush handle (I call this a "misfire"); too loose and it won't pull the flapper high enough to hold itself open when you push the flush handle. In other words, too short or too long and you don't get the right flush. Also the handle can be bent a bit to make sure that you're pulling straight up on the flapper. So try two links more slack and then go back to the beginning and then two links less slack. See if it's obvious which the problem is, and just fiddle with it and see if that doesn't fix it.

You could also change the flapper. Korky.com can point you at a good replacement one for most toilets. For the Champion you can probably look up the replacement online.

champion-4-ada.jpg

champion-4-ada-tank.jpg

Looking inside the Champion 4 tank. Much of the water can never leave the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

-TH-

Reaction score
Wjcandee,

Thanks for the tips. Based on you advice I played around with this some more. I couldn't really get it to ever work properly, but i would like to try again when I am back up there. I may just try a new flapper too. I will report back later. Thanks again!

TH

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks