Challenges replacing outdoor spigot

Users who are viewing this thread

TomG

Reaction score
F3C78FEB-45DD-4157-816F-0696A897C6B4.jpeg
D5C7FB33-180F-4717-81D6-1CD94423A510.jpeg
ED15ABB1-C499-4150-9536-2E9530073B7B.jpeg

Hey All,
Total amateur here so apologies for any mistakes in describing parts. Anyway, I noticed a leak from my outdoor faucet this morning. It was dripping steadily at the connection to the exterior wall (not from the handle or spigot). I went to unscrew it and it essentially fell off in my hand. The male pipe end protruding from the wall is quite corroded and jagged. I bought a new spigot but it won’t screw onto the male pipe end (nor will the original spigot). Any hope of fixing this?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sure, there's hope, but you're going to have to replace that pipe! They used a steel (maybe galvanized) pipe that has seen its last days. Steel piping should never be used in potable water situations. Basically, it rusted out. you're going to have to go back inside and figure out where you can disconnect things and then put in new pipe. Suggest brass, or maybe copper with a threaded fitting on the end.

But, if you are in an area that is subject to freezing, I suggest you look into a frost-free sillcock. Then, you won't have to ensure you shut off the outside faucet when it's likely to freeze. If there's hot water nearby, there are a few that would let you then get hot or cold out of it, handy for washing the dog or car, or even yourself. One of the better brands out there is www.woodfordmfg.com With a frostfree silcock, the actual shutoff is way inside the building. The line MUST have some slope towards the outside so when you shut it off, it can drain, though.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will have to repair that from the inside of the home. The pipe, like you have mentioned is no longer complete. It's common where steel meets brass that there is a war and in that war the steel loses.
Using a tap measure, locate where the pipe would be inside and open the wall up. The pipe through the brick exterior will need replacing and hopefully you will find a fitting like a 90 or a coupling that will allow new pipe to be threaded in. When unthreading, you will need to back the fitting and carefully remove the pipe section. Worse case is that the pipe gets cut and threaded.
For the new faucet you may be able to get a hardware store to cut and thread a new pipe section, or use some other material like copper or PEX.

Your your Northern state it would be a good time to install a frostfree hosebib.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks